turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mkm24

Income from Solar Panels

I got a check from the local energy company paying me for the power that my house sent back into the grid from the solar panels. Am I required to report this? If so.. where do I report it?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Income from Solar Panels

Yes, you are required to report ALL income unless specifically exempted by the Internal Revenue Code.  Income from solar panels isn't exempted.

That type of income is not subject to self-employment tax, so it goes on line 21, Form 1040. 

To enter it: 

1. Go to Income

2. Select I'll choose what I work on

3. On Your 2016 Income Summary, scroll down to Less Common Income

4. Click Start or Update by Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C. 

5. Click Start or Update by Other Reportable Income

6.  Enter the Description and Amount on Other Taxable Income

The amount should show up on line 21 of your Form 1040.  To check, 

1. Go to My Account

2. Go to Tools

3. Go to View Tax Summary

4. Go to Preview my 1040

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Income from Solar Panels

Yes, you are required to report ALL income unless specifically exempted by the Internal Revenue Code.  Income from solar panels isn't exempted.

That type of income is not subject to self-employment tax, so it goes on line 21, Form 1040. 

To enter it: 

1. Go to Income

2. Select I'll choose what I work on

3. On Your 2016 Income Summary, scroll down to Less Common Income

4. Click Start or Update by Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C. 

5. Click Start or Update by Other Reportable Income

6.  Enter the Description and Amount on Other Taxable Income

The amount should show up on line 21 of your Form 1040.  To check, 

1. Go to My Account

2. Go to Tools

3. Go to View Tax Summary

4. Go to Preview my 1040

Income from Solar Panels

I just got solar panels installed and I'm curious....

Did your electric company send you a 1099 for the surplus energy they purchased or for all energy that was produced?

I'm trying to get ahead of my tax implication for next year and I'm not sure how much "income" I should expect to be taxed on.   

Income from Solar Panels

Last year my solar equipment stop collecting data during the very hot months of the year.  This non-collection caused me to incur a very large electric bill.  I filed a claim with the company, and they required me to include my yearly amount of electricity used at my residence.  After waiting several months to receive my refund, I am now being told I have to submit a W9 in order to get reimbursed.  This doesn't make sense to me as I am no an Independent Contractor therefore, I can't offset this amoun on my taxes, I file short form.  Is this taxable income and if so how come?

Income from Solar Panels

@Candyfoot88 wrote:

Last year my solar equipment stop collecting data during the very hot months of the year.  This non-collection caused me to incur a very large electric bill.  I filed a claim with the company, and they required me to include my yearly amount of electricity used at my residence.  After waiting several months to receive my refund, I am now being told I have to submit a W9 in order to get reimbursed.  This doesn't make sense to me as I am no an Independent Contractor therefore, I can't offset this amoun on my taxes, I file short form.  Is this taxable income and if so how come?

The W-9 is used to collect your SSN to issue either a 1099-NEC (independent contractor income) OR a 1099-MISC (other taxable income).  If the company reports the income on a 1099, you will have the opportunity to dispute that when you file your tax return.

I can't offer a suggestion about whether or not the payment is taxable without knowing a lot more details of your situation.  Do you own the panels or lease them?  What company did you make the claim with, the solar company or your electric utility?  What is your usual arrangement, do you get paid for the electricity you generate or does it just offset your usage from the grid?  

Income from Solar Panels

folow up with the CHAMPs question.

I own the solar panels, they are not leased.

I don't get paid for any excess electric that gets stored but instead it stays there for me to use in the future.

I paid very large electric bills bc the solar equipment installed at my house did not get any readings due to a short 

Now, I want a reimbursement since it was not our fault, yet we paid very high electric bills for several months. Our electric bill is generally 25 to 50 and the bills at that time were way over $200.  

Income from Solar Panels

I should add, my contract with Freedom Forever is the company I am asking for reimbursement, since it is the company that backs the solar guarantee.  

Income from Solar Panels

This is NOT income.  I am not selling anything.  I am only asking to be reimbursed for the overcharge I incurred with my solar panel not collecting properly.  Freedom Forever is the company that backs the promise, should my solar panels stope working they are obligated to reimburse for the amount lost.  

Income from Solar Panels

Since you think this is income, how do I offset the expense?  I file short form and I am NOT an I/C.  If I were an I/C I could list my expenses to match this money. Since I am not an I/C, I do not sell anything, didn't perform any services what so ever.

Income from Solar Panels

@Candyfoot88 wrote:

This is NOT income.  I am not selling anything.  I am only asking to be reimbursed for the overcharge I incurred with my solar panel not collecting properly.  Freedom Forever is the company that backs the promise, should my solar panels stope working they are obligated to reimburse for the amount lost.  

It's not necessarily income to you, that's what I am trying to figure out.  From the company's point of view, they are required to issue a 1099-MISC if they pay you more than $600 in a year.  It's between you and the IRS if the money is taxable, they must issue a 1099-MISC for all payments and then it's your problem to convince the IRS that it is not taxable.  There are a couple of ways to do this.  

Whether it is or is not taxable income depends on the business relationship, among other things, which I am trying to understand.

Income from Solar Panels

@Candyfoot88 wrote:

I should add, my contract with Freedom Forever is the company I am asking for reimbursement, since it is the company that backs the solar guarantee.  

I still don't understand the relationship.  I looked at Freedom Forever's web site and couldn't figure out what they actually do.  

Here's how I understand a typical solar power installation.  Suppose you purchase panels for cash and connect to the grid.  You only draw from the grid when your panels produce less than you need.  If your panels produce more than you need, your meter runs backwards, meaning you are selling power to the electric utility (sometimes at the retail price and sometimes at the wholesale price, depending on the state). Suppose you use 2000kWh in a month, at 10 cents per kWh.  That's $200.  If you produced 1500kWh, then you had to buy 500 kWh and you paid $50.  If the next month you produced 1500 kWh again but only used 1200 kWh, your meter runs backward, you owe nothing, and the electric utility pays you $30, either in cash or as a credit on your bill.  As I understand things, that $30 is taxable income to you, although it may not get reported and many solar owners may be able to get away with not paying tax on it.  

Instead of paying cash for your system, you can finance it with a lease it from the company or a power purchase agreement.  These agreements may have very different terms and I can't help you without seeing your actual contract.

Now, to your specific issue, I don't quite understand the problem.  If the only problem was the monitoring was down (Freedom Forever did not know how much power you made), but the system was still making power, you should still have been drawing less from the grid and paying less to the utility.  Freedom wouldn't know how much power you were making, but the utility would know you were pulling less from the meter.  If you were actually pulling extra power from the public grid, that makes me think that your entire system was down and not producing power, and it was not merely a problem with monitoring. 

Freedom Forever guarantees that you will produce a certain amount of power.  If you produce less than the guarantee, they will pay you back. It sounds like that is the program you applied to.  If so, then I would suggest that the reimbursement under the guarantee is not taxable income as long as it is less than the cost of the solar panels. 

Also, you also said the excess is "stored", it's impossible to store electricity unless you have your own battery system.  If you produce excess, it might feed back to the public utility and create a credit on your bill.  As I said before, this is probably taxable income, although it may often skip being reported.  But this is not the same as a payment under the guarantee.  Let me try and explain once more.

Suppose when the system is working correctly, you might generate $100 of electricity per month.  In April and May, you use $80 of electricity, but you make $100 worth, so you build up a $40 credit.  In June, July and August, you need $200 worth per month and make $100 worth, so you pull $100 per month off the grid.  The public utility charges you for $300 minus the $40 credit you accumulated for a net bill of $260.  Technically the $40 is also taxable income.  It's not a discount, it's a credit you created by selling a product to the public utility.  

Now suppose the system breaks down and produces no electricity for June, July or August.  You have to take the entire $200 per month from the grid.  You pay $560 instead of $600 since you have a $40 credit from April and May in my example.  The amount of the credit is still taxable income since it's from the sale of electricity to the public utility.  Then, because Freedom Forever has guaranteed you will produce $100 of electricity per month, they owe you $300 under the guarantee.  In my opinion, this is not taxable income, because it is a make-good on the guarantee and pays you for actual economic damages, and does not represent the sale of electricity to anyone.

This all assumes your agreement works as I suggested and that you paid more to the public utility because your system was not producing power.  If your system was producing power and you took less power from the public grid, then I don't know why your bill would be high, there may be some more complicated relationship between you and Freedom Forever that I can't evaluate, making my explanation incorrect. 

If you get a 1099-MISC, we can tell you how to offset that in Turbotax so you won't pay tax.  You don't include specific details with your tax return.  The IRS might send you a letter later, asking for more details, so you will want to keep good records of any emails and discussions with the company, plus a copy of your contract and the guarantee.  It would probably be best to post back here in January or February once you start to work in Turbotax for specific instructions on how to create the income offset, since the program might change how it should be entered.  

This is not tax advice, and if the amount is large, you may want to hire an accountant to give you a professional opinion.  

Income from Solar Panels

Let me jump in with a very specific example:

1)  My electric bill is about $1000 per year

2)  The local electric company buys electricity from me, paying me about $1050 per year

3)  The amount it pays me is spelled out as a line item on my bill, and I do not receive a 1099

4)  My panels are paid for and I have not claimed a deduction or depreciation in the past

What is the proper way to account for this set of economics

Carl
Level 15

Income from Solar Panels

@Opus 17 Maybe this will be helpful?
There's a friend of mine across town that when through this same scenario in 2022 with their 2022 taxes. I accompanied him to his appointment with the local tax advocate. (I was his ride while car was in the shop). Here's what I learned from the tax advocate.
There's two perspectives to understand here. The power company's perspective (FPL in this case) and the taxpayer/client's perspective.
From the power company perspective, they are required to report as income all funds they receive from any source, for any reason pertaining to the product or service they provide. In this case, the project they received money for was electricity.  When later discovered they had overcharged the customer, it wasn't as simple as "here's your refund". They needed to "show" where that money went and why it was not longer taxable income to the power company.  Also, the power company has no way of knowing if what you paid them originally was fully or even partially tax deductible for the customer when they paid it. Therefore a 1099-MISC was issued to the customer that received the refund. (A bit over $1K in this case).
From the customer perspective, the customer paid tax on that money "before" they paid it to the power company. So why should they have to pay taxes on it again when it's refunded to them as reimbursement for a product the customer never received from the power company?
It's a catch-22 for both. However, the taxpayer can "offset" the taxing of that refund on their tax return. I don't recall the specific line numbers of course. But I know there's a way to "cancel it out" in TurboTax. When doing this, it is important that the taxpayer keep all correspondence related to the "incident" for at least 3 years, recommended 7 years. It'll save your butt should the IRS question the "offset" of it's taxability in the future.

My 2 cents. Take it or leave it.
To avoid all this crap, I'd ask the power company if they would just keep the money as a credit against my future use/billing.  I don't know if @mkm24 lives in a location where their local provider will accommodate that. But maybe it's worth asking?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies