Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In my NJ amended return TurboTax showed a zero balance. When I mailed it to NJ tax department they sent me a notice to payback the original tax refund. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In my NJ amended return TurboTax showed a zero balance. When I mailed it to NJ tax department they sent me a notice to payback the original tax refund. What should I do?

On the forum, we can't see your tax return.

Without the tax return to review it is not possible to tell whether the error found by NJ was

A) on your original NJ-1040.

B) on  your amended NJ-1040-X

C) on both returns.

The only reason to file NJ-1040-X is because you found A) to be the case.

Yet you say NJ-1040-X resulted in no change.

If your NJ-1040-X shows zero refund, and zero amount you owe, generally, there is no reason to SUBMIT it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies

Review your filing and make sure it is correct before you SUBMIT it to IRS or the State of NJ.

That's your responsibility.

sorry, maybe my earlier question wasn’t clear. Isn’t zero in a amend return means you don’t have to adjust anything from the original return? 

On the forum, we can't see your tax return.

Without the tax return to review it is not possible to tell whether the error found by NJ was

A) on your original NJ-1040.

B) on  your amended NJ-1040-X

C) on both returns.

The only reason to file NJ-1040-X is because you found A) to be the case.

Yet you say NJ-1040-X resulted in no change.

If your NJ-1040-X shows zero refund, and zero amount you owe, generally, there is no reason to SUBMIT it.

Thanks. Like you mentioned, my mistake is filing the NJ amend that showed zero. The reason for my amend is to claim loss income for a book publish. I live in NY and work my regular job in NJ. For the NY and federal amend I had additional refund. NY already paid the refund indicated in the amend and the federal is still processing. No change for NJ as shown by TurboTax amend. By submitting it unnecessarily I may have confused the NJ tax. 

@wathuduranamal 

you have to dispute the NJ finding if you don't want to be billed with increasing interest until you pay.

You are correct. They already added interest, and set a deadline to avoid penalty. I have contested it in the online link they provided. Thanks 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies