turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MPA
Level 1

Importing Robinhood CSV for Crypto

Hi - I originally downloaded Turbo Tax Deluxe to do my taxes, but I saw it didn't have an option for me to upload a csv for crypto. A quick Google search showed I needed Premier, so I paid $30 to upgrade from Deluxe to Premier, and I still do not see where I can upload this CSV. Any help is appreciated 🙂

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

21 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

I got the instructions off the Robinhood website.

How do I enter my crypto tax documents into TurboTax?

1. After logging into TurboTax, navigate to the Wages & Income section.
  2. On the screen where you enter income, find the Cryptocurrency Start button in TurboTax. Cryptocurrency may be under the Investment Income subsection.
  3. Click: Start
  4. In the “Let's get your cryptocurrency info” screen, choose the icon that says Robinhood.
  5. Click: Continue
  6. Drag and drop that CSV file into the next screen (or browse your computer for it and upload it). If you received a Robinhood Crypto 1099, Robinhood also provided a CSV file with your cryptocurrency transactions.
  7. Double check that all of your transactions imported correctly, including the proceeds and cost basis.
  8. Continue through the rest of the process to finish submitting your cryptocurrency income.

You can directly import up to 250 transactions this way.

Related informationHow do I get a CSV file from Coinbase?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
MPA
Level 1

I was originally trying to follow those instructions but there doesn't seem to be a Cryptocurrancy section on the PC version of Premier. 

According to what else I've found online only the online version of Turbo Tax Premier has it, which is pretty stupid and means I wasted $30 upgrading to Premier from Deluxe.

locotruckdriver
Returning Member

TurboTax Sux. Why would you get features for crypto on the online version of premire and not when you just paid for the premire cd version ?? 

JeanneLO
Intuit Alumni

Unfortunately, at this time the CD version of TurboTax premiere functionality for Cryptocurrency is limited.

So what do I do now? I want to import my Robinhood Crypto CSV into TurboTax Premier PC but there's no Cryptocurrency section for me to do it.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

The Turbotax Desktop versions do not have a cryptocurrency section and you cannot upload a CSV file to it. 

You have two options. You can have the CSV file aggregated to two lines, Long Term and Short Term and enter that manually into the Stocks Mutual Funds Bonds and Other section. 

You can create a new account on TurboTax online using your 2018 .tax file. Upload the CSV, then use the Save a copy of my return to computer function. Confirm that your CSV has transferred to Form 8949 and Schedule D. You will see nothing in the step by step, you can only see it in forms mode. Of course, any work you have done to date will have to be redone on the new return. 

To save a copy of Turbotax Online to computer:

• While signed in and working in TurboTax
  • Click on Tax Tools, then Tools in the left-hand menu
  • Click on Save a copy of your 2019 return to your computer

stlau916

I am a first time user of TurboTax. Nothing you said made any sense to me. 

Upload a 2018 .tax file? I don't know what's that. 

I bought TurboTax hoping that it will make my life easier since my tax go-to guy is charging ridiculous on me for stocks. 

Everything has been a breeze until I stumbled upon the Crypto section.

Just wanted to weigh in on this to say this is crap! I bought Turbo Tax Premiere but can't use all the functions because some are online only? Time to start looking for a new software to use I guess

I have TT Premier 2019. I finished entering all my tax information. During the interview it asked me if I had crypto sales to which I said YES. However it didn't ask me for any more information in this regard. I couldn't find cryptocurrency option under the Investment income either, as advised in this post. How should I enter the 1099-B I had received from Robinhood? 

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you have TT Desktop Premier (the download/CD version) then you do not have a separate Cryptocurrency section and the software will not accept a CSV upload. 

You will need to enter your Crypto transactions in the Stocks, Mutual Funds, Bonds, Other section of the Investment section. You can enter the data as individual transactions or you can total your Long Term and Short Term transactions and enter just the two.

@nmvempaty

xueruy
Returning Member

Robinhood user. Robinhood provides us the 1099-B with Box-B checked, for crypto tax form. I followed your instruction, and I typed in manually. Okay then TT asks me to send my statement along with Form 8453, apart from e-filing, to IRS. 🙂 

Does this sound right to you ?

I have the same situation with RH and Crypto trades. I had entered manually in TT consolidated short and long term gain/loss data exactly as in RH 1099 B. TT asks me now to mail form 8453 in which it checked box for form 8949. However, I couldn't find form 8949 prepared by TT in the forms view. Are we to manually fill this form and send it to IRS along with form 8453?

I really appreciate any help. Thanks.

Is the cap 250 or 2250? The Robinhood page says 2250 when you go to link the 1090 for crypto to Turbotax? Is the csv something different?

userIN

How to file crypro using CD download version. I don't see any option to upload crypto CSV file

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies