Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Illinois ICR

Illinois ICR is calculating incorrectly on Line 5 by incorrectly taking "line 3" from the Worksheet area instead of Line 3 from Step 2.

Is this a known bug that is being worked on?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

Illinois ICR

There are no known issues with Schedule ICR.  Could you please explain what you’re seeing a little more clearly?

Line 5 of 2021 Schedule ICR instructs the taxpayer to “Compare Lines 3 and 4g, and enter the lesser amount here” – in other words, enter the lesser of lines 3 and 4g on line 5.

The K-12 Education Expense Credit Worksheet doesn’t have a line 3.

And, in the 2021 Schedule ICR IL-1040 Instructions, the Step 2 guidance says “Lines 1 through 3 — Follow the instructions on the form.”  There’s no specific instruction related to line 5.

Illinois ICR

Hi JohnW152

ICR is NOT working properly....at least for me.  Example: on my return I have $1,000 on line 3.  On 4g I have $500.  It is showing “0” for line 5.  It should be showing $500.  All I can guess is it is taking the “0” that is on line E3 in the Section A Worksheet to compare to the $500 on line 4g.  I spoke to TurboTax last week and they were like "oh wow, how is that happening".  They said they were passing the info on to the team to troubleshoot but no further info was provided.

afrech1

Illinois ICR

I have the same issue!

There is a calculation error in Illinois schedule ICR

On line 5, it states "compare lines 3 and 4g, and enter the lesser amount"

I have values of 32,828 for line 3 and 382 for line 4g, but I get a zero from TurboTax’s calculation

For line 5, I believe Turbotax is using line E3, not line 3.  For me, I have a value of zero in line E3

The result is I lose the credit of $382, as line 5 currently compares E3 to 4g and gives me $0.

I received this credit last year and do not believe tax law has changed on this matter

Further, I have overridden this value in TurboTax, but now cannot e-file my state return due to this override.

Please investigate this issue and provide an update to the Illinois TurboTax application so I can e-file by April 18.  Otherwise, I will need a refund of $25 e-filing fee as I will need to paper file with the override of this calc error.

Thank you!

Drew

Illinois ICR

afrech1

Thanks for that info.  You saved me $25 as I planned to file IL electronically this weekend.  

I was told Feb 22nd they would work on a fix for this and yesterday gave up and did over-rides not realizing that would prevent me from e-filing Illinois.

TURBOTAX - PLEASE READ THIS POST AND ADDRESS THE ILLINOIS ICR FORM!!!!!

Bottfish
Returning Member

Illinois ICR

For me, Line 3 contains an amount (say $20,000) and Line 4g contains $1,000.   The instructions for line 5 says to compare line 3 and 4g and enter the lower amount, which would be $1,000.   However, the value shown is $0.  I am unable to edit the form to enter $1,000.   Calculating line 6, would be to subtract line 5 from line 3, would would be $19,000.  Instead line 6 is showing as $20,000 (Line 3 - the incorrect line 5 amount of $0).   

Is this bug being fixed/updated by Intuit/TurboTax and when can we expect it as filing deadline is approaching? 

g12314js

Illinois ICR

Experiencing the same issue with the SW.  Tried updating and the form remains broken.  With just 4 days left to file, I hope Intuit addresses this bug.  Cannot file online with IL due to their new security requirements which requires a snail mail ID check (come on IL its 2022 for pete sake).  May be forced to file by mail as I do not want to overpay my IL taxes due to the SW bug.

sbs312
Returning Member

Illinois ICR

This is terrible!!!  Initially reported in Feb, validated by multiple users since then, clearly an easy fix, and still broken now two days out from filing deadline!  Worse yet, no way to override this field.  Poor QA.  Poor design.  Really awful customer experience!  Can only imagine how many other bugs are lurking out there if something this easy can slip by and persist this long - especially given how crazy insane our tax code is.  I want my money back!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Illinois ICR

I also have this issue. I am planning to do the illinois return by hand, file by mail, and then file a maximum refund claim with Intuit. https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/charges-and-fees/help/what-is-your-maximum-refund-or-tax-savings-g...

afrech1

Illinois ICR

I retract my earlier comment.  Turbotax is right, at least for me.  On page 9 of the IL-1040 instructions, there is an income exception:

"Income Exceptions

If your federal filing status is married filing jointly and your federal AGI is greater than $500,000, you are not entitled to a property tax credit or a K-12 education expense credit.

If your federal filing status is single, head of household, married filing separately, or widowed and your federal AGI is greater than $250,000, you are not entitled to a property tax credit or a K-12 education expense credit.

"

Even though I couldn't find any documentation on the above in Turbotax, Turbotax's math is correct.  I just e-filed.

sbs312
Returning Member

Illinois ICR

Thank you afrech1 - you have saved me from filing incorrectly, and I have to retract my earlier reply as well.  I must apologize for berating TurboTax, but I'm doubling down on our screwy tax code which drives us all here to begin with. 🙂  I confirm I fall into this income exception as I had received an inherited IRA distribution from a deceased relative that pushed my AGI above $500,000.  

Illinois ICR

Thanks.  That makes so much sense now.  Wish TurboTax had a bit more info as we all missed that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies