Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Does my minor child have to file a form for ssa-1099 income.

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  If all they have is social security they don't have to file a return and nobody reports it.

You should be filing a Joint return with your husband and can claim your son on the Joint return.

Nenok88
Returning Member

Ok so do I don't have to file any kinda form irs related for my son? Sorry I'm not to familiar with the process and how it works this is his first yr of receiving his ssi I wanna make sure I'm not missing anything. 🙂 

No, nothing extra or special.  Just claim him as a dependent on your return like normal.

Nenok88
Returning Member

Yes. My husband is self employed and files a 1099 at the end of the yr and claims me and my son. And then my son receives his benefits on the 1st. That's the only income that comes into our home. I wasn't clear on if i would have to file anything or not regarding his benefits.  Thanks everyone for helping me out!:-)

By the way, your husband doesn't claim you.  A spouse is never a dependent.  He should be filing a Joint return with you even if you didn't have any income.  

kodijac

My boyfriend and father of my daughter, gets Disability. He received a letter stating that our daughter might be eligible for a month check for HIS disability. Well, she got approved. So, in December she received a lump some for back pay and now, in 2021 gets a monthly check. He received a SSA-1099 for taxes, her lump sum in December. Box 7 says his name for her name and our address. I work and was planning on claiming her, which I have done for the last few years. Am I still able to claim her and do I have to enter the SSA-1099 on my tax returns? Sorry, this is the first year I’ve had to do this, it’s completely new to me. Thank you!

@kodijac 

You do not enter her SS benefits on your tax return.  If she has no other income she does not report the benefits received on a tax return.

Unless she is using the SS benefits to provide for over one-half of her own support you should be able to claim her as your dependent on your tax return under the Qualifying Child rules if she meets all the requirements.

To be a Qualifying Child -

1. The child must be your son, daughter, stepchild, foster child, brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, stepsister, or a descendant of any of them.
2. The child must be (a) under age 19 at the end of the year, (b) under age 24 at the end of the year and a full-time student or (c) any age and permanently and totally disabled.
3. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year. Temporary absences while away at college are considered living with you.
4. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
5. If the child meets the rules to be a qualifying child of more than one person, you must be the person entitled to claim the child as a qualifying child.
6. The child must be a U.S. citizen or U.S., Canada or Mexico resident for some portion of the year.
7. The child must be younger than you unless disabled.

My daughter received a SSA 1099 for one lump sum of $27,518 for my disability. Do I need to file a separate tax return for her even though she is only 8 yrs old??

No.  

You don't include their income on your return. It would only go on their return if they are required to file one.  If they only get SS, SSDI or a SSA-1099 they don't have to file a return and nobody reports it.

Filing requirements for a dependent

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

taxmaniac

This is my son.  Because of divorce, I gave my xwife, his mother rights to claiming him as her dependent.  But he receives SSA because I receive SS benefits cause I am over 65.  I did manage his money he received and he had a capital gain in 2020 of $358.  Other than that he had no other income.   [email address removed]

taxmaniac

The equation Ive seen for enough income to file is always based on dependency.  For tax purposes he is not my dependent.  Just my son.  Iḿ guessing but $358 does not seem like it would trigger a tax return. The cap gain was reported on a 1099B.  It was from a brokerage account set up as a UTMA with both our names on it.  His SS# is on both notices, the SSA and the B

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you are correct. Son would need to file a return if his unearned income was $1100 or more. The $358 is well under the filing requirement.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
PCB
Level 2

Very helpful.  Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies