turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If we filed a injured spouse claim on our taxes bc of back child support are the still gonna take all of the of my husband stimulus payment too? Or just who owes it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

22 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

If we filed a injured spouse claim on our taxes bc of back child support are the still gonna take all of the of my husband stimulus payment too? Or just who owes it?

It depends on if your injured spouse claim has been approved.  If it hasn't, both of the stimulus payments are subject to garnishment.

Rebates will not be subject to garnishment, except if back child support is owed.

Well it was approved in 2018 and it was approved for state for 2019 and we are waiting on federal it's being processed! It was excepted on Feb 15th we filed with turbo tax!

I file IS every year with my taxes on TurboTax.  They took all $2400 of our stimulus money for his back child support.  Now I am reading I need to file an IS Form to get back my stimulus money.  Is there a way to file that on here?

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can file an amended return with turbo tax to include a 8379 form, which is the injured spouse form. To amend.

1. Sign in to TurboTax.
  2. Scroll down to Your tax return & documents (you may need to select Show), select 2019 and then Amend (change) return.
  3. Select Amend using TurboTax Online.
  4. Carefully follow the instructions. Don't worry if your refund changes to $0. This is normal on amended returns.
  5. Once you are in your amend section go to your left navigational pane in your return. Go to tax tools>tools>topic search>type in 8379This is where you will prepare your injured spouse form.
  6. When finished, we'll give you instructions for printing and mailing your amended return as amendments can't be e-filed.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Nikiharvey78
Returning Member

What about if you already filed with your taxes do you have to do it again for your stimulus?

Nikiharvey78
Returning Member

Have you figured out how to do this?

I sent in an additional IS Form marked Stimulus Payment to the IRS only because news stations are telling us to do that.  A lady on one of the FB groups about this said she had a reliable source tell her they would automatically return the money to spouses & children on May 15.  I am hoping she is right.  But I am not taking any chances.  I mailed that form anyway. 

I filed the IS with my taxes & have every year for 22 years.  I am talking about the $1200 stimulus money they took for my husbands debt for back interest on paid child support.

Nikiharvey78
Returning Member

Thank you I will do the same and hopefully it works for both of us!

I was supposed to get ours (2 adults, 4 children so 4200) on April 15th. Not in bank. Completed tax return with injured spouse form in February. Treasury dept recording says that all 4200 will be offset to child support. I guess I’ll send again for stimulus since you did that too. Did you just print your 2019 one and send it or fill out a new one for 2020??

I filled it out like it pertained to the Stimulus Money....And put that on top of the form.  Someone on FB said they were going to refund the spouses & children's money on May 15.  They said they had a reliable source.  But I am going to do everything I can to make sure.  

Well yall I went to the get my payment thing on the IRS web page today just to check my husband status and it asked for direct deposit info then for **bleep**s and giggles I put in mine and its telling me to do the same thing we fill together with the IS tell me what in the world is going????

Nikiharvey78
Returning Member

I just went online and printed another one and filled it out again I wrote and the top stimulus and on the envelope outside. I did receive a letter from dept of treasury today and it says on there to file the injured spouse form and mail it it also said it can take up to 8 weeks to process.

So i just print out the IS and write stumilius at top of it and send it in to dept of tresuary.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies