turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

istotten

If I have a 1099-B statement that has no Date Aquired and No Cost Basis how do I figure these amounts on an Undetermined Term Transaction for Noncovered Tax Lots?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If I have a 1099-B statement that has no Date Aquired and No Cost Basis how do I figure these amounts on an Undetermined Term Transaction for Noncovered Tax Lots?

You determine the date acquired and the cost basis from your own records of the original purchase.

If you do not have a record of the purchase, the broker, investment manager, or other financial institution that issued the 1099-B might be able to help you determine the date acquired and the cost basis, even though they did not put the information on the 1099-B.

What type of asset or investment did you sell? Was it stock, a mutual fund, or something else? How did you acquire the investment? Did you purchase it yourself, or did you acquire it some other way, such as by gift or inheritance?

If you don't know the exact purchase date, do you have at least a rough idea of when you purchased the investment?

If you cannot come up with any information at all, use your best guess for the date acquired and use zero for the cost basis. The exact date acquired isn't really important. What matters is whether you owned the investment for more than a year, or for one year or less. If you use zero as the cost basis you will have to pay tax on the entire proceeds of the sale, but that's what you're stuck with if you cannot determine the actual cost basis.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You determine the date acquired and the cost basis from your own records of the original purchase.

If you do not have a record of the purchase, the broker, investment manager, or other financial institution that issued the 1099-B might be able to help you determine the date acquired and the cost basis, even though they did not put the information on the 1099-B.

What type of asset or investment did you sell? Was it stock, a mutual fund, or something else? How did you acquire the investment? Did you purchase it yourself, or did you acquire it some other way, such as by gift or inheritance?

If you don't know the exact purchase date, do you have at least a rough idea of when you purchased the investment?

If you cannot come up with any information at all, use your best guess for the date acquired and use zero for the cost basis. The exact date acquired isn't really important. What matters is whether you owned the investment for more than a year, or for one year or less. If you use zero as the cost basis you will have to pay tax on the entire proceeds of the sale, but that's what you're stuck with if you cannot determine the actual cost basis.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

istotten

rjs,

Thank You for the insight ... I will call the broker to help determine the aquired date and cost basis. I'm doing my mother's taxes and she doesn't recall.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies