Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I get an error message regarding a "Link to QBI worksheet" what should I do?

How can I clear any reference to my business as an SSBI?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information may help resolve your issue.  For example, where in the software are you getting the "Link to QBI worksheet" message, and what kind of QBI business do you have (self-employed Schedule C, Schedule K-1, rental income on Schedule E).

For the SSTB questions, for K-1 businesses the SSTB questions are near the end of the K-1 entry questions.  For Schedule C businesses, you get the SSTB questions after you have finished the Deductions section and Continue through the interview.

If you are getting the "Link to QBI worksheet" message during Review, and that screen has a form in a window that is the “primary” form for your business (Schedule C, Schedule E, K-1), it will be highlighted for Question A in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet.  "Double click" in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI component worksheet.  Create a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).

You can also check the QBI Component worksheets in your tax return, for any that aren't linked to one of your QBI businesses, and delete that form.  If it is a QBI Component worksheet you need, you'll get an error message during Review, and will need to do the "double click in highlighted Question A box" instruction from above to add the QBI component worksheet.  But, if you are aggregating more than one QBI business on your tax return, all those businesses get linked to the same QBI Component worksheet.  Another way to look at these forms in TurboTax Online is to preview a PDF of your tax return with the worksheets. (Tax Tools>>Print Center on left menu).

To check for QBI Component forms in your return (and delete any you don't need) in TurboTax Online

1. Open or continue your return in TurboTax.
  2. In the left menu, select the dropdown arrow next to Tax Tools and then underneath that Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the instructions.

Click here for the full article on deleting a form in TurboTax.

@rich-lanigan

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
rswanigan
Returning Member

I'm experiencing the same issue. Can't figure it out. I need help.

-R

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

More information may help resolve your issue.  For example, what is the wording of the message you are getting and on what screen does that message appear?

If you are getting a screen with a form that has a highlighted box, Double click in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI Component worksheet.  Create a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).

@rswanigan

Eliotdam

I have the same issue. this is in the schedule E worksheet. I cannot file until the issue is fixed.

Eliotdam

Also double clicking as described does nothing

DavidS127
Expert Alumni

For some reason the "QuickZoom" button that normally appears here, and the "double-click" feature are not functioning in TurboTax Online.

This situation has been reported to TurboTax for investigation.

Until this "QuickZoom" / "Double-Click" feature is working correctly again, do the following to "link" a QBI Component worksheet for your Schedule E:

1. Go back to the Rentals and Royalties section, and Edit the Schedule E.
  2. At the "Review Your [Name] Rental Summary", click the Done With Rental Property button at the bottom.
  3. Click Continue for eight (8) screens until you see "Should this business be treated as part of a combined business".  Unless you are aggregating with other QBI businesses choose "This business is independent of any other activities".

This should link a QBI Component worksheet to your Schedule E.

If you still have an issue, try a similar but more "thorough" workaround:

1. Go back to the Rentals and Royalties section, and Edit the Schedule E.
  2. At the "Review Your [Name] Rental Summary", click Done With Rental Property a the bottom.
  3. About three screens later you will see "Is this Qualified Business Income?".  Change your answer here (temporarily) to "No".
  4. Click Continue.
  5. On that next screen, click Back, and change the answer for "Is this Qualified Business Income?" to "Yes".
  6. Click Continue for about five (5) more screens until you get to the screen "Should this business be treated as part of a combined business".  Unless you are aggregating with other Schedule Es, choose "This business is independent of any other activities".
vdargush

If you are getting the "Link to QBI worksheet" message during Review, and that screen has a form in a window that is the “primary” form for your business (Schedule C, Schedule E, K-1), it will be highlighted for Question A in the Qualified Business Income Deduction Smart Worksheet.  "Double click" in the highlighted Question A box, and you will get a pop-up asking you to link to a QBI component worksheet.  Create a new copy for that business (e.g., give it the name of that business).

When I am trying to "Double Click" the highlighted Question A box I am not getting any pop-up.

I did the second work-around described and it seems to have worked.  Thanks!

AVSmitty

Trying to e-file today using TurboTax Online and no matter what I do, I cannot get rid of this error for two rental properties.  I have already tried everything recommended above.  Other properties I have entered do not have this error.  Very frustrated!  Anything further to try?

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

Please contact TurboTax support for assistance with this issue.

What is the TurboTax phone number?

My rental does not qualify as a QBI and I do not qualify for AMT.  I went back to "Rentals and Royalties" (edit), scrolled down to "QBI" at the bottom (edit), deleted the numbers in the AMT and QBI blocks (continue), then I re-entered the number that was in the first block (continue). Problem solved. 

frustrated37
Returning Member

I am having the same problem. I do not have rental properties, so the workarounds above do not apply to me. I have an insurance brokerage and received a K-1 from a separate brokerage in which I am a partner, but my ownership is less than 50% and therefore I am not eligible to aggregate the two. TurboTax is aggregating my two brokerages and I do not see anywhere where I can elect not to have that happen. I was able to delete the QBI aggregation form as per instructions elsewhere, but now in the review/error screen when I am supposed to be able to double click on the box to link to a new QBI component worksheet, nothing happens. Please help.

we found that we needed to delete the prior year qbi carryover that should not have been there for the rentals

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies