turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I would like to start a seller account on Etsy.com it asks for an EIN or SSN, If i start a LLC with a friend, can Etsy see both our names by just putting in the EIN?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Carl
Level 15

I would like to start a seller account on Etsy.com it asks for an EIN or SSN, If i start a LLC with a friend, can Etsy see both our names by just putting in the EIN?

A few things to point out here.

- When starting a business, always, always, always obtain and utilize an EIN with that business. Never under any circumstances and with no exceptions use your SSN. Doing so is an invitation to having your identity stolen. With an EIN, if that gets abused it only affects the business, and not your entire personal financial life.  Remember, the IRS is the ONLY entity that issues EINs. You can get it in about 10 minutes absolutely free at https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/apply-for-an-employer-identification-n...

Now, the EIN is tied to one specific and explicit SSN. That's it. Period. So if "WE" are starting a business (as opposed to "I") then one of you must have your SSN tied to the EIN. The IRS doesn't care which one of you either, since your business will be a partnership (at a minimum) that files IRS Form 1065 - Partnership Return each year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies