Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I work as a contractor in NC but live in SC. Do I need to pay estimated taxes to both states? Or just one? Or can I have my husband take extra withholding from his job?

I will be receiving a 1099 and I know I will need to take these taxes out somehow (as I've gone through this process a few years back in another state). I'm trying to find a way that will cause the least amount of headaches!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I work as a contractor in NC but live in SC. Do I need to pay estimated taxes to both states? Or just one? Or can I have my husband take extra withholding from his job?

Since your work income is taxable by NC, you should definitely pay estimated taxes to NC.

It is also taxable by SC (your home state can tax all your income), but you'll be able to claim a credit on your SC return for the taxes paid to NC.  The credit will likely cover only a portion of your SC tax bill, since SC's income tax rate is a bit higher than NC's. 

If your husband works in SC, an increase in his state withholding would help.  This would be easier than paying estimated taxes to SC.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Wonderful, thank you for your help! Yes, my husband works in South Carolina, so having him increase his state withholding seems like a good way to go. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies