turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tagar

I want to know if I need to pay the Philly Wage Tax. I work from home and live outside of the city. I will be contracting (1099) with a company inside the city.

I've done my share of web searches and talking with people but I don't feel confident with the answers that I am getting.

Thanks for any help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I want to know if I need to pay the Philly Wage Tax. I work from home and live outside of the city. I will be contracting (1099) with a company inside the city.

tagar

Thanks SweetieJean. I had read that a few times and the 2nd sentence makes it sound like I will have to pay the tax.

I'd welcome any thoughts from people in a similar situation or any extra comments.

Who pays the tax

The City Wage Tax is a tax on salaries, wages, commissions, and other compensation. The tax applies to payments that a person receives from an employer in return for work or services. All Philadelphia residents owe the City Wage Tax, regardless of where they work. Non-residents who work in Philadelphia must also pay the Wage Tax.

If you live in Philly you pay the tax. If you work in Philly you pay the tax.

I am a caregiver my agency is in Philadelphia. I live and work outside of Philadelphia (have never lived or worked in Philadelphia 2 minutes) but Philadelphia income tax was taken out of my paycheck the past 3 years!?! I should be entitled to a refund right!?
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies