turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sqrt17

I've gotten 2 emails with notices that my New York state return has been rejected but there aren't any step in Turbo Tax to fix it. Reject Code: R0102. What does it mean?

It goes straight from "Let's take a look at your return" to "You've visited all the reject errors on your NY return." and wants me to refile without changing anything.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

13 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

I've gotten 2 emails with notices that my New York state return has been rejected but there aren't any step in Turbo Tax to fix it. Reject Code: R0102. What does it mean?

Here's a link to the list of NY error codes & their meaning:  https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/errorcodelistingty2016.pdf

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
sqrt17

Thank you! But how do I fix it? The system tells me theres an error but it doesn't tell me where the error is or let me fix it. When I click 'fix it' it brings me straight to the page to resubmit my taxes.

TomD8
Level 15

I don't know if this will work for you, but here's what I'd do in your situation.  First, I would carefully review my return to make sure I haven't made any incorrect entries.  If the return is correct, and if TurboTax is telling you that it can't find any errors and that you should resubmit, I would just go ahead and resubmit - even if you haven't changed anything.

Then, if your return is rejected again, and neither you nor the program can find any errors, I'd print it and mail it in - on the theory that your e-file attempts are running into a computer glitch.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
KISS
Level 2

This is happening to me as well. My extension was also rejected, with no explanation and absolutely zero help from turbotax, even though the email said they'd help me fix it. My issues were never resolved: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/selecting-file-extension-at-the-bottom-of-the-lef... I am getting really frustrated with turbotax. You actually want us to mail our tax returns? What kind of response is that? If there is a computer "glitch" then look into it and let us know what's going on. If there is an actual problem with our returns, tell us what that is (it is your job after all). How do we go about getting a refund from turbotax?
TomD8
Level 15

"..it is your job after all.."

This is a user-to-user forum.  I am not a TurboTax employee.  Just one user trying to help another.

KISS
Level 2

I'm sorry Tom. That was directed at turbotax, not you. Their system appears to be broken (telling us there is something wrong, then telling us it's fine). I reviewed my return. I don't have time to do all the calculations (that is point of turbotax, right?), but it looks fine. I will submit a 3rd time (4th if you count my extension rejection). Thanks for your help.

That NY reject code R0102 says "A computational error occurred in calculating the Federal Adjusted Gross Income on return."     

But since that is done automatically by the program, I'm not sure how to fix that.

Did federal return get accepted?

You may have to end up calling support about this.

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥ ¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
KISS
Level 2

Thanks, Lisa. Yes, I already received my federal refund. Turbotax told me the exact same thing, that it was a miscalculation of the Federal AGI. It instructed me to review my numbers, and then immediately after told me that it checked it for me and everything is good to go. I manually reviewed my return, and don't see any obvious issues. I forgot they actually have a support line. I believe it wasn't available (or the wait time was unreasonable) when I was trying to fix my rejected extension a while back so I didn't think to try again. I will try calling when I have a chance. Thanks.
KISS
Level 2

After submitting 3 times (4 if you count my extension), it was finally accepted! I made no changes. There is clearly something wrong with either the NY or TurboTax computer systems, and TurboTax should be looking into this in detail to prevent this from happening in the future. The error code given appears to be wrong, and the turbotax guidance is confusing and wrong.
TomD8
Level 15

If you made no changes to your original return, and now it's being accepted, then apparently NY was previously rejecting a correct return.   Sounds like the problem lay with NY, not with TT.

sqrt17

Hello! 

Thank you for all the responses and solutions. I live in Taiwan so I couldn't call support. I ended up FaceTiming my mom while she talked with support for me. The lady from support said that efile should not be an option for me since I'm out of the country and she didn't know how I got my federal return accepted in the first place. The "computational error" was because of my location. She suggested to submit one last time (which she didn't think would actually go through), and if it still didn't go through, to mail it in. I resubmitted and it was accepted.

When I put my address in and checked the foreign address box, there should have been some type of warning.

Again, thank you!

rameshgeetha
Returning Member

R0102   IT-201/X / IT-203/X  line 19 / 19 - A computational error occurred in calculating the Federal Adjusted Gross Income on return. 

• looking at IT-201 , line 19 = line 17 - line 18; on the native file (.tax2018 ) line 18 is blank, whereas on the generated pdf, 18 filled in with .00 ,
  • since our 2017 returns show identical numbers on line 18, my hypothesis is that starting 2018, NY state's back-end DISallows blanks for line 18 and throws an exception/ error,
  • we'll check with Albany in a couple of days; if their response is only as rapid as Intuit's, I'll try to RE-eFile (a what-if attempt to override line 18 in TTax is met with "you canNOT eFile with overrides" warning,
  • we might have to follow thru' with THIS year's April resolution !
rameshgeetha
Returning Member

TomDB - Pinning the blame with NY and absolving TT of any defect might be true ONLY if NO TTax software update was applied across multiple eFile attempts!

this also begs the questions, why does Intuit:

• issue critical updates TWO months after 4/15,
  • NOT publicize "critical" updates on their website w/ a ticker_tape that's hard to ignore
  • add broken/useless links when trying to see More details at ttax_upd_chk.JPG
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies