Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

lbell_09
Returning Member

I've been trying to file my state taxes and I keep getting rejected due to my parents already having filed my federal taxes in person. Is there a way to get past this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I've been trying to file my state taxes and I keep getting rejected due to my parents already having filed my federal taxes in person. Is there a way to get past this?

How did they file your federal return?  You can only efile the state if the federal was efiled from the same account and Accepted.  Sounds like you have to print and mail state. 

Are you using the same account they did the federal in?  If not, you have to first fill out the federal exactly the way it was filed for it to flow over to the state return.  

lbell_09
Returning Member

All I know is they filed it in person instead of digitally. It's my first time doing my own taxes since I just turned 18 and they're not being of much help. I filled everything out right and it just keeps rejecting it and I'm not sure what to do since I need my state taxes filed by Monday. Is printing it and mailing the state one the way to go?

- I appreciate your help!

Yes you have to mail it.  If you didn't efile the federal digitally then you have to mail state.  How did you do the state without doing the federal?  Did you start with the federal one they did?  

lbell_09
Returning Member

I didn't work enough in 2023 to earn anything from federal so it aligned with the information I put in digitally to get state. If I mail it will it get there before the deadline?

Probably not.   Do you have a tax due or refund on the state return?  If you have a refund it doesn't matter when you file it.  A tax due is still due April 15.   If you have a Tax Due  you can pay the state directly online on the state's website.  

lbell_09
Returning Member

It's a refund but my parents keep going on about the April 15th deadline. I'm sorry I keep giving you the runaround, i'm so new to this. You've been more helpful than my parents so thank you 🙂

Sounds like you are good to go.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies