turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dennis-weikel
Returning Member

I've been a Turbo Tax customer many years but this will be the LAST time I'll use the software because the software has no forethought or no tax planning.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I've been a Turbo Tax customer many years but this will be the LAST time I'll use the software because the software has no forethought or no tax planning.

We do not know how to help you since you have not explained or described a specific issue that is causing a problem for you at this time.  Is there something in particular we can help with?  What part of the software is confusing you?

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dennis-weikel
Returning Member

How do I plan for taxes and financial growth?    Turbo Tax is a rear view of your financial health.  I want something that will allow me to make decisions.  

Right now I'm having to generate my tax return in December for IRS and DEFERRED COMPENSATION PLAN.

I'm looking for tax planning.  I want software to project financially into windshield (NOT rear view mirror) if you understand what I'm trying to accomplish.  

I'd like to perform IRA to Roth IRA conversions but not sure I'd be able to get Turbo Tax to perform.  

IF..if you use the Desktop program every year, the desktop program has a What-If worksheet that allows you to use the current year's values.....transfer all of them to a next-year column....and then change any of the individual main values to se what would happen in certain situations the next year and the resulting approx. taxes for the next year.  

For example, had you used desktop software for 2018 taxes, you could have either used the What-If worksheet to project your expected 2019 taxes under various situations......or copied your 2018 tax return into a new file, and changed the values "as-If" they had occurred in 2018   (yeah...tax rates might change slightly, but usually close enough).  The only thing they couldn't deal with is RMD age changes...like those just passed...or a few retroactive changes, since no one can predict what nonsense Congress will come up with.

No, won't do multi-year projections....that's more for some kind of actual financial planning software, but zi suspect that most of those won't actually project the taxes that result.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Anonymous
Not applicable

even professional software does the same as TT desktop.  next year based on prior year law with the ability to plug in numbers for the projection year.        just like pro software, you can do 2021 projections but that would be based on the earlier tax law.   I think what you fail to realize is that the tax laws can change widely from year to year making even a reasonable guess almost impossible for future years.   the 2017 tax law changes that affects 2018-2025 would not have even been a wild guess back in 2016.  so most people trying to get a 2018 estimate back in 2016 would have gotten results that were far from what 2018 actually turned out to be 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies