Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larryr544

I updated turbotax 202 home and business on my mac today. Now it won't open any of my 202 tax returns.

I get the message "The document "XXXXX 20.tax2020" has the wrong tax year or some other issue that prevents us from opening it.  Please make sure you have the right file and try again."  I'm using turbotax open recent so I know that I'm accessing the correct files.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I updated turbotax 202 home and business on my mac today. Now it won't open any of my 202 tax returns.

I'm not sure what you mean by "updated" and I'm not sure what you mean by "202." Are you saying that you installed TurboTax for 2021? Are you trying to open a 2020 tax return in the 2021 software? You can't do that. To open a 2020 tax return (.tax2020) you have to use the 2020 software. But if you want to transfer information from a 2020 tax return into a new 2021 tax return, first start 2021 TurboTax and start a new return. Then transfer from the 2020 tax return when prompted.

The following FAQ has not yet been updated for 2021. It still gives instructions for transferring from 2019 to 2020. But the procedure should be the same for transferring from 2020 to 2021.

How do I transfer last year's return into the 2020 TurboTax software?

whitvolt

I have the exact same issue. The tax program 2020 asked you to update. I did this. Now, none of the files from 2020 taxes will open or transfer.

larryr544

202 should have been 2020.  When turbo tax any year is launched it checks for “updates”.  

While i didn’t fix the problem I did find a work around.  Instead of using “open recent” go to the tax file and double click to open it.  

MaryWF

I am having the same issue.  Maybe it's a glitch that needs to be fixed.  Did you have any luck?

TerukoL
Intuit Alumni

Please click the TurboTax Help Article Troubleshoot TurboTax for Mac updating issues 

If you still have problems after going through all these troubleshooting tips, contact us for help. @MaryWF

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies