Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received an unexpected tax refund for overpayment of 2022 estimated taxes. Where do I report this income on my 2022 Federal form.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I received an unexpected tax refund for overpayment of 2022 estimated taxes. Where do I report this income on my 2022 Federal form.

Federal tax refunds are not reported on a federal tax return.

I notice I have the wrong year.  I received an unexpected tax refund check for the overpayment of my 2021 estimated taxes.  If I show that I paid that amount in the section for estimated tax payment in September of 2021 and in January of 2022, that I received the refund check for, then it will show that I have more deductions than I am owed.  So, I'm assuming there is a place to show that I received a check back (with interest) for the two estimated payments?   Or do I just not show that I made those two months of estimated payments, which would even it out?

I notice I have the wrong year.  I received an unexpected tax refund check for the overpayment of my 2021 estimated taxes.  If I show that I paid that amount in the section for estimated tax payment in September of 2021 and in January of 2022, that I received the refund check for, then it will show that I have more deductions than I am owed.  So, I'm assuming there is a place to show that I received a check back (with interest) for the two estimated payments?   Or do I just not show that I made those two months of estimated payments, which would even it out?

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you received a refund of estimated federal payments made, you simply will not include them as payments made. 

However, your estimated tax payments for 2022 would not have been made in September of 2021 or January of 2022.  These payments would have been part of your 2021 tax return.  Payments you made after March of 2022 would be included in your estimated tax payments for 2022.

You may have received a 1099-INT from the IRS.  The interest you received on that refund is taxable income

To report the interest select the following:

• Income
  • Interest and Dividends
  • Interest on 1099-INT

If you did not receive a 1099-INT, you will still need to report the interest you received using the above steps

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies