turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bchmiola

I received a 2017 NJ Gross Income Tax Adjustment form this year, 2021, that I owe $45. I filed taxes in 2018

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

I received a 2017 NJ Gross Income Tax Adjustment form this year, 2021, that I owe $45. I filed taxes in 2018

What is your question?

$45 is pretty tiny, as NJ Tax Adjustments go.

we can't help you at the present tie. you should receive a notice from the state explaining the change. if you have questions, post back with the wording in the notice but leave off any personal info

bchmiola

Thank You for responding.

The payment in question I'm not concerned about. It's the fact that I received refunds from NJ state filings in 2018 & 2019, but am now receiving notifications 4 years later stating I owe them back taxes on the 2017 Gross Income Tax Adjustment.

If there was an underpayment in 2017, I would assume it would have been corrected in the 2018/2019 filings.

If I filed incorrectly in 2017, I would of expected this response in 2017/2018.

Why contact me 4 years later when I have been out of NJ for the past 2.5 years, and they have had 2 years of me living in NJ to correct this overpayment?

It's the principle, and the delay in sending me this notification.  

If it have to pay this measly amount so be it, but I would like an explanation as to why the delay, and why it want corrected on the 2018/2018 filings.

It just rings suspicious to me.

You can phone the NJ Division of Taxation on Monday and ask them outright.

You'll see a call tab then the Customer Service number at:

https://www.state.nj.us/treasury/taxation/contact.shtml

Your 2017 return was filed in 2018 so it is three years later.

That's how NJ does it.

My neighbor's daughter is also now getting notices about 2018 errors.

NJ recently had a tax amnesty 

so now they are probably catching up with all those who did not take advantage of that.

I RECEIVED A LETTER FROM THE IRS/STATE

TurboTax does not receive any information from the IRS or your state after your return was filed, so no one at TurboTax knows about a letter you received from the IRS or the state.

I GOT A LETTER FROM THE IRS   

(what the letters from the IRS mean)

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3605673-i-got-a-letter-or-notice-from-the-irs

I AM BEING AUDITED

If you purchased Audit Defense:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2924451-i-bought-max-or-audit-defense-and-now-i-m-being-audited

AUDIT SUPPORT

TurboTax has a special phone number for help with IRS/state tax letters, which will be easier than going through regular Customer Support.   At the page below, click on the blue button that says "Get Help from TurboTax Support".  Then it will ask you what tax year is your letter.  Then it will ask you what the letter concerns. Then it will show you the phone number during posted business hours.

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies