Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I received a 1099G form for $362 in unemployment compensation that I never received and have reported as a fraudulent claim. Do I have to include this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099G form for $362 in unemployment compensation that I never received and have reported as a fraudulent claim. Do I have to include this?

No, do not report 1099-G income that was fraudulently obtained in your name. If you report it on your return, it may result in additional tax.

Be prepared, however, to get an automated notice from the IRS later in the year. If the 1099-G income  would result in an increase in your taxes, the IRS will send you a CP2000 Notice of Proposed Change in your taxes. The instructions allow you to agree with the change (and pay the tax) or disagree with the change, by giving your reasons why you don't owe the additional tax.

See the following article for an excellent discussion on how this notice system works: How To Read And Respond To Your Notice From The IRS

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

No, do not report 1099-G income that was fraudulently obtained in your name. If you report it on your return, it may result in additional tax.

Be prepared, however, to get an automated notice from the IRS later in the year. If the 1099-G income  would result in an increase in your taxes, the IRS will send you a CP2000 Notice of Proposed Change in your taxes. The instructions allow you to agree with the change (and pay the tax) or disagree with the change, by giving your reasons why you don't owe the additional tax.

See the following article for an excellent discussion on how this notice system works: How To Read And Respond To Your Notice From The IRS

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies