turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dklny2003

I received a 1099-Misc for paid family leave. Does this involve work that's my main job? Does this involve intent to earn money?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
Cindy0H

I received a 1099-Misc for paid family leave. Does this involve work that's my main job? Does this involve intent to earn money?

This is not self-employment income nor does it involve an intent to earn money. You are going to enter as follows:

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3 or box 7) that is not self-employment income

• Wages & Income tab (or Personal Income tab) 
  • Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.
  • Enter the 1099-MISC exactly as printed, and then Continue.
  • Enter the reason you got this money – paid family leave
  • Select None of these apply, then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve work….. and Continue.
  • Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.
  • Select No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money, then Continue.
  • Select NO, then Continue. 
  • Click the DONE button.

Anonymous
Not applicable

adamvanden
Returning Member

PFL IN NY IS NOT SUBJECT TO FICA, FUTA OR SUTA.  HOW CAN I BE SURE THAT THESE TAXES ARE NOT TAKEN FROM MY PFL INCOME LISTED IN THE 1099-MISC?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

Please follow the instructions listed above by CindyOH so your 1099-MISC will not flow to a Schedule C and not be subject to self-employment tax. FUTA and SUTA are paid by the employer and would not be assessed on your return. 

• Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income from form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate you have a 1099-MISC.
  • Select ONLY the tax year for which this specific 1099-MISC was issued. Do not select the year that you received the 1099. Select the year for which the 1099-MISC was issued. Select no other year. Then Continue.
  • Click the DONE button.

Using the method above, your 1099-MISC will flow to Other Income on your tax return. 

@adamvanden

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
DL123

Hello, Not sure if you're still updating this post but for ( I am in the same situation as the original creator of the post )  :

How are these questions supposed to be answered if were trying to do PFL and Not Self Employment, Even-though TurboTaxs'  Header for this section is Self Employment...?

-  "I work in..." - What are you supposed to type? 

-  The following questions are about the type of work... 
-  "Tell us about how long XYZ has worked in 1099-MISC"

- Then it ask about employees and such. I thought this did not count as Self Employment. "Did XYZ pay any employees in 2021?"

-Then it asks more information about "My Business" ; business name, address, EIN, Method of accounting, Assets

Just mentioning these because there are no questions/answers to these questions on here

RobertB4444
Employee Tax Expert

@DL123 please follow the list of instructions from @Cindy0H directly above your post.  It has all of the answers to your questions and instructions for how to handle the questions you are being asked.

• Click the DONE button.

Using the method above, your 1099-MISC will flow to Other Income on your tax return. 

DL123

Ok so are these the correct answer as followed? (Because some questions are NOT Addressed in this post)

1. Tell us the type of self-employment work you do [I work in... '1099-MISC' ] ...?

2. We need a little more info [None of these apply.]

3. OK - how does XYZ's 1099-MISC work fit into your big picture?  [   'no answer'   ]

4. Tell us about how long XYZ has worked in '1099-MISC'. [ XYZ started 1099-MISC in 2021  ;  XYZ stopped 1099-MISC in 2021.  ;  XYZ didn't start or stop 1099-MISC in 2021. (NOT SURE WHICH TO CHOOSE)  'no answer'  ]

5. Did XYZ pay any employees in 2021? [ No, XYZ didn't. ]

6. Did XYZ make these payments for this 1099-MISC work? [No, XYZ didn't make these payments.]

7. Tell us if any of these less common situations apply to this work [. XYZ didn't actively participate in the operation of this business.    ;   XYZ is subject to Department of Transportation hours of service limits.  ;   'None of these apply.' ]

Information we need you to confirm
[We've completed the information below based on what you've already told us. Edit any fields that are not correct before we move on.
Business name
None
Edit
Business address

Edit
Employer ID Number (EIN)
No EIN (This is normal.)
Edit
Method of accounting
Cash method (most common)
Edit
Assets on a reservation or in a disaster area
No
Edit ]

9. Let's enter the income for XYZ's 1099-MISC work [ 
COMMON INCOME:  Form 1099-NEC, new IRS form for non employee compensation (replaces 1099-MISC) - Other self-employed income, includes 1099-K, cash, and checks LESS COMMON INCOME : 'Form 1099-MISC, for miscellaneous and non-work payments'  - Uncommon income, includes awards, interest, debt previously deducted. ] 

ARE THESE THE CORRECT ANSWER TO MARK WHEN FILLING A 1099-MISC ON TURBO TAX?

IT SEEMS THAT THE QUESTIONS I AM SEEING ARE DIFFERENT THAT THOSE LISTED FOR THE POST. IS THIS COMMON?

#HELP

JohnB5677
Employee Tax Expert

@Cindy0H gave a good description of the posting process.

This is a suggestion on how to complete the interview:

• Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC-
    • Paid Family Leave
  • Does one of these uncommon situations apply? 
    • None of these apply
  • Did the Paid Family Leave involve work that's like Your main job? 
    • No
  • How often did You get income for Paid Family Leave? 
    • Got it in 2021
  • Did the Paid Family Leave involve an intent to earn money?
    • No  (This was not a job to earn wages).

@DL123, I had to fully remove the self-employment income section (using the "delete") icon and then start from the beginning to add the 1099-MISC again to get it categorized as "other" income instead. Once TurboTax has categorized the income as self-employment, there's no way to recover it without deleting and re-adding, at least that I have seen.

Ssingh214

I follow all these steps and it still gives me a message that it needs to be defined, and then it goes it the self employment income section. 
I’ve deleted it the self employment income, and started over as other income, 1099-misc and it keeps on happening. Need help!!! 

Just to clarify, are you talking about these steps

This is not self-employment income nor does it involve an intent to earn money. You are going to enter as follows:

Reporting 1099-MISC (box 3 or box 7) that is not self-employment income

• Click the DONE button.

At what point are you having the issue?

Ssingh214

@AbrahamT 

after I follow all those instructions and click done, there is a pop up that says that the income needs to listed on a form. Then the system asks me a few more questions. At that point, it’s moves my 1099-misc forms and incomes to the self employment income section. This halving my return. It’s not make sense that it does this. 

KrisD15
Employee Tax Expert

You are answering on of the interview questions where the program is thinking it is Self-Employment income.  

Go back and answer everything AS IF THIS WAS A ONE-TIME THING THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR JOB, YOUR LINE OF WORK, OR WITH THE INTENT OF MAKING MONEY. 

Be sure to select that you ONLY received this for this ONE year. 

Please try again and be sure to read the questions carefully. The questions can be confusing. 

carpino72

I bought and installed turbotax on a disc in my desktop.  I have entered a 1099-misc form for Paid family leave 9 different times the way you specify and it always goes into business money, with a schedule C to be filled out.

Do you have any more suggestions on how to do this or would you like access to my computer to do this so it goes into the right area?  Apparently on your disc it doesn't work.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies