turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I owed money for federal this year, so I went to the IRS website on Tuesday to make the payment for what I owed. On Wednesday, the IRS automatically took out what I owe

How do I either cancel my original payment or request a refund for the money I sent in?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

I owed money for federal this year, so I went to the IRS website on Tuesday to make the payment for what I owed. On Wednesday, the IRS automatically took out what I owe

First, verify with your bank or other financial institution that the money has, in fact, been withdrawn twice, and that the withdrawing entity was the IRS.  If only one withdrawal currently appears, you might request that you want any duplicate withdrawal stopped.

If two withdrawals are confirmed, contact the IRS immediately.  You can use the contact information found on the IRS' Let Us Help You page.

Thank you John!  I will contact the IRS.  I see two withdrawals on my bank statement, so I will call right now.

Thanks for your help!!! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies