Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zefcarroz

I need to file my taxes with the application forms for ITIN for my kids at the same time, but Turbotax does not allow me to continue the taxes filing since I do not have the ITIN for the kids yet, what do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
HelenaC

I need to file my taxes with the application forms for ITIN for my kids at the same time, but Turbotax does not allow me to continue the taxes filing since I do not have the ITIN for the kids yet, what do I do?

When prompted for your Social Security number, simply enter your ITIN instead

Use the latest revision of Form W-7, Application for IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number to apply. Attach a valid federal income tax return, unless you qualify for an exception, and include your original proof of identity or copies certified by issuing agency and foreign status documents.

Because you are filing your tax return as an attachment to your ITIN application, you should not mail your return to the address listed in the Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ instructions. Instead, send your return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

Internal Revenue Service
     Austin Service Center
     ITIN Operation
     P.O. Box 149342
     Austin, TX 78714-9342

You may also apply using the services of an IRS-authorized Acceptance Agent or visit some key IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center in lieu of mailing your information to the IRS in Austin. Taxpayer Assistance Centers (TACs) in the United States provide in-person help with ITIN applications on an appointment basis only. The IRS's ITIN Unit in Austin issues all numbers through the mail.

Follow these steps to apply for an ITIN and file your tax return: 

1. Complete IRS Form W-7.

2. Complete your federal and state tax returns using the number 999-88-9999 or 999-88-9998 or 999-88-9997 or 999-88-9996 in place of a Social Security Number (SSN).

3. Print the tax returns and white out or cross off the 999-88-9999 from the SSN field. Do not attempt to e-file your return.

4. Write "Applying for ITINApplication attached" next to the SSN field.

5. Mail the signed federal return, the completed Form W-7, and all documentation required.

In reading the instructions for the W-7 form, it states to leave the SSN blank. i.e. don't write anything at your point #4 above. Is this new? Also, it looks like there's no need to submit the W-7 separately, right? Just include it with the returns. How does this work with the state return? The W-7 is being processed federally, so how does my state know the ITIN number if I submit my state return a the same time as the federal and W-7 (with the W-7 form copy attached)?
zk-jiang

@jtoonnaktihnan I am facing same issue, did you have an answer to how to file the state return?
barredd

@jtoonnaktihnan @zk.jiang did you guys figured out this? I'm on the same problem today.

Thanks
zk-jiang

@barredd I setup an appointment with IRS and submitted ITIN application along with W-7 (filled with dummy one mentioned in the OP)
zk-jiang

@barredd I setup an appointment with IRS and submitted ITIN application along with W-7 (filled with dummy one mentioned in the OP)

Which address did you mail your forms to?

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

Mail your Form W-7, supporting documents, and tax return to:

Internal Revenue Service

ITIN Operation

Mail Stop 6090-AUSC

3651 S. Interregional, Hwy 35

Austin, TX 78741-0000

@askingaround

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Corsan977

When a person is applying for an ITIN, they have to send his/her return, Form W-7 and proof of identity and foreign status documents to:

nternal Revenue Service
Austin Service Center
ITIN Operation
P.O. Box 149342
Austin, TX [removed]

But, once a person has his/her ITIN, where does he/she mail the tax returns?

HopeS
Expert Alumni

It is now possible to e-file a return with an ITIN. When prompted for your Social Security number, simply enter your ITIN instead.

Because it's in the same 9-digit format as a Social Security number, you'll be able to enter it without any problems.

See below for additional guidance:

Efiling with ITIN

If you decide to mail your return, please review the link below. To meet the IRS timely mailing it is best to use certified mail.

Where to File

@Corsan977

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies