turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm US born, but I haven't lived in US since 1997 (left when I was 9). I've never been tax resident in the US- do I need to file returns? Where would I even start?

Living in Ireland- and as far as I understand since our taxes are higher here there is no tax due as there is double taxation agreement.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DanaB27
Expert Alumni

I'm US born, but I haven't lived in US since 1997 (left when I was 9). I've never been tax resident in the US- do I need to file returns? Where would I even start?

If you are a US citizen then you are required to report your worldwide income no matter where you live. But you might qualify for a Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, for tax year 2020, the maximum exclusion is $107,600 per person. Please see IRS Figuring the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion for details.

Please follow these steps to enter your foreign income:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “foreign income”
  3. Click on “Jump to foreign income”
  4. Say "Yes" to "Did you make any money outside the U.S.?"
  5. Continue through the questions until "Would You Like to Try and Exclude Your Foreign Earned Income? /Whose Foreign Income Would You Like to Try and Exclude?" and  answer "Yes" if you like to try to get the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion.

Another option is to get Foreign Tax Credit or Deduction on the taxes you paid in Ireland. Please see Where do I enter the foreign tax credit (Form 1116) or deduction for 2020? and What does or doesn't qualify for the Foreign Tax Credit? for details.

Please be aware you can't take both the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion and Foreign Tax Credit on the same income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Start with your Social Security Number.

Do you know what it is ?

Many persons in your situation are renouncing citizenship since IRS has made your banking in Europe very difficult.

Of course, you might want to get citizenship elsewhere first.

Yeah I do have my social security number somewhere. Have Irish citizenship as I've grown up here. Ireland has some special thing to avoid double taxation - as in since irish tax rate is higher than US, balance owed to US is 0. So I'm wondering why would I even file. 

Did look at renouncing citizenship but apparently costs and hassles with that - around $2500. And apparently if I ever want to say, take a vacation in New York, I could get extra airport hassle as the flag that I've renounced my citizenship can cause questions

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies