turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I’m trying to fill out my 1099 and it’s making it seem like it’s my business . It is not mine I just work there

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

I’m trying to fill out my 1099 and it’s making it seem like it’s my business . It is not mine I just work there

If you do work and receive a 1099, you are self-employed and run your own business.   Use your personal information when going through the business set-up screens, not the business that paid you.  As an independent contractor, you own your own business.  It may not seem like you do, but for tax reporting purposes, you do.  The business name is your name and the business address is your address.  Go through the screens and TurboTax will get your 1099 reported correctly.    You need to set up your ''business'' so that you can get all the deductions available to you.  

Key Points on 1099-MISC and Other Self-Employment Income

• When you’re paid this way, there’s no withholding taken out of your income, which means you’ll pay both self-employment tax as well as income tax.
  • A benefit of being self-employed is that it enables you to have lots of write-offs as well, so make sure to enter all your expenses. This helps you reduce the taxes you might owe or increase your refund. We’ll help you get every possible tax break you deserve.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

If you do work and receive a 1099, you are self-employed and run your own business.   Use your personal information when going through the business set-up screens, not the business that paid you.  As an independent contractor, you own your own business.  It may not seem like you do, but for tax reporting purposes, you do.  The business name is your name and the business address is your address.  Go through the screens and TurboTax will get your 1099 reported correctly.    You need to set up your ''business'' so that you can get all the deductions available to you.  

Key Points on 1099-MISC and Other Self-Employment Income

• When you’re paid this way, there’s no withholding taken out of your income, which means you’ll pay both self-employment tax as well as income tax.
  • A benefit of being self-employed is that it enables you to have lots of write-offs as well, so make sure to enter all your expenses. This helps you reduce the taxes you might owe or increase your refund. We’ll help you get every possible tax break you deserve.
Miguelina
Returning Member

I file with my spouse and this year we have three different 1099 misc. we both did UBER and I work as a real state agent. Does that means we have three business? where can I put our 1099 misc. information? 

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Yes,  and you will report the 1099 forms under Self Employment.

1. Log in to your account .
  2. Go to Wages and Income.
  3. Scroll down to Self Employment then Self Employment Income and Expenses.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies