turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Charger83
Returning Member

I'm filing a joint Virginia return with my spouse who is a part year resident. I am a full year resident. Turbotax keeps insisting that I provide the dates I moved into or out of Virginia. It makes no sense!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

I'm filing a joint Virginia return with my spouse who is a part year resident. I am a full year resident. Turbotax keeps insisting that I provide the dates I moved into or out of Virginia. It makes no sense!

It thinks you moved possibly, because your husband is a part year resident.  Does your husband work in another state? Are you filing a resident and non resident state tax return?  

When entering your state tax returns, when multiple states are involved, you should enter your nonresidential state tax return first.

Then enter your residential state tax return..

It is recommended to prepare the nonresident state first, because your resident state will provide you a credit for the tax you pay to the nonresident state.  By preparing the nonresident state first, TurboTax can transfer the credit information to your resident state to return. 

Click here for additional information on filing multiple state returns.

Click here for information regarding filing multiple states returns.

Click here for how to delete your state return in TurboTax desktop.

Click here for how to delete your state tax return in TurboTax Online.

If this does not help please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional details or questions or click here for information on Turbo Tax Support.  You can connect with a Live TurboTax Agent and share your screen.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Charger83
Returning Member

Thanks for the answer, but this doesn't help. Two reasons: First, I'm the filer listed first in Turbo Tax, a full year resident of Virginia. I only have income in Virginia. My spouse has income in Pennsylvania and Virginia after moving to Virginia in April 2022. The spouse's Pennsylvania income was earned while a PA resident, and the Virginia income was earned while a VA resident. Because I am the filer in Turbo Tax, when I go to do my spouse's Pennsylvania tax based on our joint Federal Filing, Turbo Tax insists on including me. But I don't owe Pennsylvania anything and we only need to do an individual married filing separately Pennsylvania return for her. Turbo Tax can't seem to just grab her information. 

Second, my spouse doesn't need credit for PA taxes on the VA form, because she earned all income as a VA resident while working in VA.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

1. Following directions for a VA resident with a part-year spouse is important. VA instructions -page 13- for part year resident state: Part-Year Residents File Form 760PY As a general rule, part-year residents file Form 760PY. If 1 spouse is a full-year resident and the other is a part-year resident, the couple may file together on Form 760PY. The part-year resident spouse will compute a prorated exemption amount. The full-year resident spouse will claim the full exemption amount.

You must mark that you are filing a part-year return for both of you to get the correct tax liability. This will include all of your income and the VA portion for your spouse.

2. Correct, you will not use credit from the other state for a part-year return.

Peggy2956

I have this exact same problem. I think it is a programming error.  I can't efile it because Turbo tax is insisting that I (the full year resident)  complete the move in date.  ARRRGH.  I did all the tax computations by hand and the tax amount is correct.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Use 1/1/2022 as your move into VA date.  If it asks for a prior state use Virginia.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies