Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I'm entering ESPP reinvested dividends (separate from shares) in the 1099-B interview. For the ? "Did you purchase all of these investments?" do I answer yes or no?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

I'm entering ESPP reinvested dividends (separate from shares) in the 1099-B interview. For the ? "Did you purchase all of these investments?" do I answer yes or no?

I think start over in this section so you can identify it from the beginning as ESPP, if you have not already.

To report ESPP sales in TurboTax:

• When you enter your 1099-B information you will be asked: 'Do these sales include any employee stock? This includes ESPP, RSU, RS, NQSO, and ISO' Say yes.
  • Then you will be asked 'What type of investment did you sell?' Select ‘Employee Stock Purchase Plan, (ESPP) '
  • Check the box that says 'The cost basis is incorrect or missing on my 1099-B'
  • Then select 'I need help figuring out my cost basis'
  • You will be prompted to enter your ESPP and Form 3922 information.

To report the ESPP, you will need

• Form 3922 from your employer,
  • Form 1099-B and
  • Form W-2

to determine the appropriate cost basis for your transaction, which may require additional details in TurboTax to accurately report the transaction.

For more resources, see below:

Based on other questions/answers I'd seen, I thought that reinvested dividends within an ESPP are treated like normal stock since they aren't discounted.  The regular ESPP shares are indicated with the 1099-B Cost or Other Basis with an (e) indicating ESPP, but the dividends are not.  Given this, should I still follow the ESPP interview for the dividends?  I think I did initially, but reconsidered since they weren't regular ESPP shares.  

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Please read this Turbo Tax link for further information on how to enter this. From what i am able to interpret is that if you know the basis of your dividend stocks, you can enter this as a regular stock sale thus you do not need to complete the ESPP interview.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies