Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

I am on my parent's health insurance, but live in another state. I didn't get an 1099-HC form in the mail--should I have? How do I fill out this portion of the state tax?

When he gets to that section, he should check the type of insurance, probably Private health insurance. The next screen will ask for more detail. Since there is no 1099-HC, list the information shown on his insurance card.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I am on my parent's health insurance, but live in another state. I didn't get an 1099-HC form in the mail--should I have? How do I fill out this portion of the state tax?

There is no Federal ID# or EIN on my health insurance card, when I input the information from my health insurance card i get the error invalid EIN

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

If you are in MA, you should have receive a form 1099-HC. This form is a Massachusetts tax document which provides proof of health insurance coverage for Massachusetts residents. You need to enter the information from your 1099-HC not from your insurance card.

I did not receive a 1099-HC because I am on my parent's (not located in MA) insurance as a dependent. I am a MA resident

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I see. That is why you are entering information from your insurance card. 

You will get an error when completing the Mass return. Unless you contact the Insurance Company and get their Federal ID number, you will not be able to file your state return. It will need to be printed and mailed.

I can leave it blank, but it came back as an issue when I did smart check. It does allow me to continue and file without it. Was not sure if it would come back as another issue later when they are filed/would have to amend. 

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

It might.  Massachusetts may or may not process it as is.  If it is rejected you will receive a letter in the mail.  If they are able to enter the EIN for you then you'll be ok.  You'll know depending on whether you receive your refund or get a letter in the mail.

@AR219 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies