Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in China, and had a duaghter born in 2019. I have to fill in her SSN number, but we haven't left the country yet so she doesn't have one. Can I not file with her?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

I live in China, and had a duaghter born in 2019. I have to fill in her SSN number, but we haven't left the country yet so she doesn't have one. Can I not file with her?

To claim your daughter on your 2019 tax return, you must wait until she has a social security number.  You do not have to wait until you return to the United States to apply. 

Click on the following link for information on how to contact the Social Security Office that serves residents living in China: Social Security Manila Federal Benefits Unit.

To be eligible for the full child tax credit, your daughter needs to have a social security number issued by the deadline to file the 2019 tax return, including extensions.

File an extension now so that you will have until October 15, 2020, to obtain her social security number.  Once you receive her number, you can file the return.

To file an extension in TurboTax, type the term file an extension and then click on the button File extension.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
SusanY1
Expert Alumni

To claim your daughter on your 2019 tax return, you must wait until she has a social security number.  You do not have to wait until you return to the United States to apply. 

Click on the following link for information on how to contact the Social Security Office that serves residents living in China: Social Security Manila Federal Benefits Unit.

To be eligible for the full child tax credit, your daughter needs to have a social security number issued by the deadline to file the 2019 tax return, including extensions.

File an extension now so that you will have until October 15, 2020, to obtain her social security number.  Once you receive her number, you can file the return.

To file an extension in TurboTax, type the term file an extension and then click on the button File extension.

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies