Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I imported my 1099-B directly from Betterment, and now Turbotax is telling me the "Disallowed Wash Sale Loss Amount" for each transaction cannot be 0.

Having this exact issue with over 30 pages of transactions. I'm extremely frustrated that TurboTax has not fixed this simple obvious bug and instead expects users to spend hours on manual workarounds or otherwise resort to mailing things in. @AnnetteB6 given the number of folks facing this issue in the forum, could you please provide an update on whether and when TurboTax is planning to fix this bug?

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

I imported my 1099-B directly from Betterment, and now Turbotax is telling me the "Disallowed Wash Sale Loss Amount" for each transaction cannot be 0.

The issue with rounding the wash sale amount to zero when it is $0.49 or less is currently being investigated and addressed by the appropriate team.  There is no known time frame for this available for me to share.  

@nicki_c

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

@AnnetteB6 I just returned from the Post Office, mailing hard copy returns. Hope they have this bug fixed in time for the 2021 tax filing.

Mine was $1.80 and was having the "zero" issue myself. So i went in and deleted the wash loss numbers on the transactions because that seems like the closest solution to my problem. I couldn't even put $1 in so if i get audited or charged for this the bill is going to Turbo tax for the issues that they have with their system. 

@lilbeast3122 helps them upsell Audit Defense?

Don’t file that way! Just follow Annette’s instructions to file a summary instead of itemized. It’s easier and you won’t be committing tax fraud. 

Annette said to go into each transaction and change it to zero so that’s what i did. 

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can edit the transactions to leave the wash sale adjustment boxes blank if they are 49 cents or less.   You can opt to delete your imported information and enter a summary instead.  If you opt for the summary reporting, this would require you to mail a copy (not the original) of your Form 1099-B from your brokerage to the IRS within three days of filing your return.  Form 1099-B would be attached to Form 8453, which will print with your return.   So although your return still gets e-filed, Form 8453 still needs to be mailed to the IRS.  Someone mentioned not having to mail anything if using a summary, but mailing Form 8453 with either the 1099-B or Form 8949 is still required.  

How to enter a summary in lieu of individual transactions

If you're required to mail in forms 8949 and 8453, do so within 3 days after the IRS has accepted your e-file. Here's the mailing address:

Internal Revenue Service
Attn: Shipping and Receiving, 0254
Receipt and Control Branch
Austin, TX 73344-0254

In lieu of Form 8949, you can substitute copies of your year-end broker statements that show the individual transactions. You don't need to include unadjusted Box A or Box D transactions.

@lilbeast3122  @RegretsInvesting13   @RudyG1  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

This is not a fix. Mailing hard copies of forms defeats the entire advantage of TurboTax. Between this and the W2c social security tax bug this year it is pretty clear that TurboTax has not received acceptable QA support this year.

Is there a fix in the work for these bugs? Can we get some kind of ticket to track this issue?

jmb1971

Really hoping Turbo Tax can fix this soon..

I see I'm one of many having this issue.  It's really an oversight something Turbo Tax needs to address as a priority. 

I just spent way too much time working on this same issue, and it turned out to be an issue with the formatting of the web page that displayed the 1099-B sales entries. On the second page of entries, I could see the edit (pencil) icon, and trash icons, but on the first page they were not visible due to some poor formatting, and I therefore believed that editing was not possible. Very confusing.

In Chrome, I was able to solve the issue simply by changing the zoom on my browser far enough that the icons became visible when scrolling around on the screen (View --> Zoom In). This allowed me to hit the trash icon and remove the offending entries.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies