Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I bought the deluxe download version. How many returns can I use it for this year? And is the one free state return available for each use?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I bought the deluxe download version. How many returns can I use it for this year? And is the one free state return available for each use?

Using the TurboTax desktop editions you can create and complete as many federal and state tax returns as needed with no further charge after purchase.  The program comes with 5 free federal tax return e-files (number set by IRS rules).  Any returns over the 5 must be printed and mailed.  There is an e-file charge for each state tax return e-filed which is currently $19.99 (subject to change).  This e-file charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

View solution in original post

12 Replies

Turbo Tax product description is a fraud. Deceptive marking and selling.  Deluxe version should have free state and the Desktop version clearly says it on the product.  However, it wont let you start state return unless you buy the state return for $39.99.  That is not to be confused with the e-filing fee of $19.99.  Buy a different software next year.Turbo Tax is a fraud. Read all the customer testimonials, its the same story. 

@ashwinithepooh - If you purchase the TurboTax Deluxe desktop CD/Download edition from the TurboTax website there is One free state program download included in the purchase price as stated on the TurboTax website - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>
If you are using the TurboTax online Deluxe edition then the state program is an additional charge of $39.99 as stated on the TurboTax website for the online editions - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>

Using the TurboTax desktop editions you can create and complete as many federal and state tax returns as needed with no further charge after purchase.  The program comes with 5 free federal tax return e-files (number set by IRS rules).  Any returns over the 5 must be printed and mailed.  There is an e-file charge for each state tax return e-filed which is currently $19.99 (subject to change).  This e-file charge can be avoided by printing and mailing the state tax return.

maglib
Level 11

There is no NY state e-file fee, the only exception for the desktop software.  Also note the desktop software has functionality like drill down that far exceeds online capabilities.
**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.

After I used the e-file free for state, can I file the state, print and mail for free?
avkoch

What is the federal processing fee I am being charged after purchasing the TurbpTax Deluxe product?  I have always filed multiple family member returns and used direct deposit for all with no feed.

@avkoch - If you are using the TurboTax Deluxe online edition then that is only for filing one tax return per account and User ID.  The current price for the Deluxe online edition is $59.99 - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/online/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/onlin...>
There are no e-file fees using the online editions, federal or state.  There are no direct deposit fees using any of the TurboTax editions, online or desktop.
The TurboTax desktop CD/Download editions can create and complete as many tax returns as needed without charge after the initial purchase of the software - <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/cd-download/">https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/...>
avkoch

I have the downloadable version.  Apparently, when I removed the state e-filing (PA) because it was charging 19.99, the federal processing fee of $24.99 went away and I filed for free with DD to my bank.  I thought I previously filed at least one state for free as well.  I generally purchase 1-2 additional states for my children and family and I thought I e-filed all without additional fees.

ALL:  This is a transferred 11 March post...so old news:

But a reply anyhow:

@avkoch wrote:
I have the downloadable version.  Apparently, when I removed the state e-filing (PA) because it was charging 19.99, the federal processing fee of $24.99 went away and I filed for free with DD to my bank.  I thought I previously filed at least one state for free as well.  I generally purchase 1-2 additional states for my children and family and I thought I e-filed all without additional fees.

A couple things of Note for @avkoch ...and for anyone else, this is for Desktop Software users only :

1)  The $24.99 fee was for the PA e-file....not the Federal e-file.  A state e-file fee starts out at $20 early in the season, and is upped to $25 if you wait until March (exact date may vary).  Since it is well into, and beyond March, this user will have to pay $25 if he/she wants to e-file the PA tax return. The only current exception is for a NY e-file, which is free.

2) This user's extra "other" states that are bought and installed on the desktop software, they will have to pay the state e-file fee for each one that is e-filed (except NY)...unless they decide to print and paper file those states tax returns thru the Post Office.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

I purchased the digital version on Amazon and I reviewed the description, and no where does it state that I will be charged an additional $39.99 just to obtain the State form.  Although the front of the package says it includes Federal and State so not sure why it won't even download the form without paying $39.99.  I'm really disappointed in Turbo Tax this year.

None of that is true.  Learn how to read.

Rharroun

I have the same problem. I bought the Deluxe download product from Amazon this evening, finished the federal return, and TurboTax now wants me to pay $44.99 before I can download the forms for the first state. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies