Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have errors on Form 1099-B Worksheet Morgan Stanley Capital Asset Sales worksheet

I installed the updates to TT (PC version) yesterday. I then deleted my old E*Trade/MS 1099 forms. I imported the forms again, and had to go through the process of re-entering the cost bases again for all transactions. After that there were no errors and I was able to transmit my returns. I only had a dozen transactions so not that bad. Hope it all works for you.

I have errors on Form 1099-B Worksheet Morgan Stanley Capital Asset Sales worksheet

Again, the bug was ETrade. 

If you remove all old imported or related data it works fine. If everything related to the prior defective import is removed, it will allow the new import. 

The only reason to start new return is if you cannot figure out how to remove the old import and any manual changes you may have made. 

If you start your return again you can still import everything. 

jkmccurdy
Returning Member

After removing the "tax forms" and the imported data from ETRADE/MS, I re-imported the ETRADE/MS data and the 1099-B is correct, however, I no longer get my T-Bill interest, only Interest Income.  Has anyone else seen this after re-importing ETRADE/MS data?

I was able to find out how to correct the Federal error.  There are multiple places that eTrade forms input into, and I had not originally delete every single  eTrade 1099 before reimporting it.  I went back and made sure to delete ALL 1099s, and then reimported once again.  The Federal review now cleared correctly. 

Glad you found it. 

I had a similar issue with wash sales.  I am using TT deluxe desktop.  In the form, I removed the automatic adjustment amount and put in a manual adjustment and code.  After that everything was correct and happy.

twashington6
Returning Member

don't edit in forms view - it voids your TurboTax accurate guarantee - Morgan Stanley and Schwab both completed mergers in 2023 and created multiple tax docs for client's. You will manually review in step by step mode each imported item and use the 1099 B's to correct as needed.

Thanks for the warning.  It was being calculated wrong, so what does accuracy guarantee really mean?  Nonetheless, a later update of the software, a fresh download of the 1099-B, and it all came out correct without further manipulation.

Now the form is correct and I didn't have to alter it.

Kormanyos

Morgan

Stanley reports OID in lump sum  in transfer to turbo. TT will not allow e filing without doing worksheet.  The  tax owed/refund number changes each time I add oid amount even the lump sum OID  already in calc. Also worksheet is asking for address and zip in each bond .  18 bonds. Given Morgan transferred gross number how can I file withou worksheet.

E*TRADE / Morgan Stanley has fixed this issue.

They sent an email on Thursday March 14 saying "We recently identified a potential error related to the import of your E*TRADE Form 1099-B details into the TurboTax Investment Income section, which may have impacted your ability to manually adjust cost basis on Form 8949 ... please delete Form 1099-B and re-import the data to avoid an inaccurate filing with the IRS. "

Using 2023 Turbo Tax Online Delux (Order #TTWCC310819663), I' ve had a similar issue with 1099-R importing my 2023 RMD Fidelity Investments Traditional IRA (via Fidelity  affiliate National Financial Services LLC).  After both Federal and NY State returns are fully entered and allegeded error checked finding no error, go to last steps for payment, ID info, and last step e-file ... an alleged error is reported in the state return "that must be fixed."  Software takes me back to the subject 1099-R to address the value in state witholding Box 14a "the value can nt be equal to or grater than the Gross Distribution Box 1.  The Box 14a value is $440. --- exactly 10% of the Box 1 value $4400.  Exact same problem last year!  Turbo tax has a issue with importing 1099 forms from other financial instituations.    

i tried 0, but that didn't work either

TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Original answer posted to wrong question & deleted.

[Edited 3/26/24 | 2:27pm PST]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

All,

I found putting in 0 in each of the line items fixed it. I suspect some of the data coming in to TT had the N, but was missing the 0 for several of the items. Look through and see if there are several on your TT 1099-b that are missing the 0-mine did and until I fixed each by putting in 0, it kept telling me there was an issue-which in deed there was-i.e, several line items were missing the 0, not just one. You will have to fix them all to get past the error screen.

Hope this helps others.

MT

I don't see a column G? can you help?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies