Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

@aaditya.mohata - suggest not filing 2020 until the ITIN / SSN is resolved, otherwise, you give up $1800. 

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

@rahul713 

I too am getting the second stimulus as a $600 mailed check instead of the expected $1200. TurboTax already has missing stimulus #1 added in the “Federal Review” section as from the Recovery Rebate Program.

I am waiting so they update it to include missing stimulus #2 but that probably won’t happen until the end of this month. I think all the IRS payments will be dispersed through January 15.

In the mean time I am waiting for the IRS to send the paper account verification information so I can actually log into my spouse’s IRS account and see what they have. I suspect she will still be classified as a non-filer because earlier tax returns used the ITIN. I’m starting to wonder what the IRS is actually merging with the SSN.

Anything requiring a human is taking a long long time to process and this includes merging the ITIN and SS numbers ... all you can to now is wait for the IRS updates to the forms to file.  Time frame for this is currently unknown so patience will be needed.  

pradeepshetty
Returning Member

Hi,

I have updated my wife SSN number in 2019 Tax amendment.

I was expecting $1200, instead I received only $600.

Anyone in the same boat?

Pradeep

pradeepshetty
Returning Member

Hi,

Can we get the Tax Rebate in 2020?

Pradeep

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

Yes.  If both you and your spouse have an SSN then you will qualify for the stimulus or Rebate Recovery Credit for 2020.  Be sure to use the SSN of your spouse on the 2020 return and all years going forward.

For 2019, if you are filing a joint return and your spouse only has an ITIN, you will not get a stimulus payment. Your children will not get the stimulus payment either.

Please read this IRS document  for more information. The Rebate Recovery Credit information can be reviewed here as well.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
AWINN214

Taxpayer has a child with a standard SS#.  Taxpayer has an ITIN and files as head of household.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Yes, according to the IRS, a dependent who has a valid SSN is a qualifying dependent. You can claim up to $1,400 for each qualifying dependent claimed on your tax return, even if you do not have a valid SSN, but you must meet all other eligibility and income requirements. The information is found here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies