turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

Thank you so much for your response.

Really appreciate it.

I am planning to send mine too.

Did you get the first stimulus money after you got the SSN for your spouse.

I have applied 2019 tax returns with spouse ITIN and i got return refund on Feb 2020.So can i update spouse ITIN to SSN now?what is the process can i get stimulus check?

No, my understanding is we have to wait until we file the tax return using her SSN next year.

I FINALLY have an update! I called the IRS again today and although they never sent the confirmation letter they said the ITIN + SSN merge did happen the week of August 10. The IRS received the letter I sent them back in April.

My joint return will still show the original ITIN on the tax transcripts BUT downloading the wages earned transcript will show the recognized earnings on the new-to-2019 SSN.

Hey

Can you help me where did you downloaded yr wage earned transcript as I am on same boat . Can you share link ?

Thanks

Harish

Thanks for the update,that was really helpful.

Will it help you get the stimulus payout, both old and the new one ?

Thanks in advance!

You'll have to log into the account with the new SSN to view the wages. Regarding stimulus, you'll have to request it through the "Recovery Rebate Credit" on the 2020 taxes which you file in 2021. See question B9 in the link below:

If the IRS used my 2018 tax return and determined that I am not eligible for payment, and I later file my 2019 tax return that changes my eligibility, will the IRS issue a payment in 2020 based on the 2019 tax return?

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-b-requesting-my-econom...

Here's the Recover Rebate Credit information: https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

You'll have to log into the account with the new SSN to view the wages. Regarding stimulus, you'll have to request it through the "Recovery Rebate Credit" on the 2020 taxes which you file in 2021. See question B9 in the link below:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/economic-impact-payment-information-center-topic-b-requesting-my-econom...

Here's the Recover Rebate Credit information:

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/recovery-rebate-credit

Hello,

I dont see my wife SSN/ITIN on the wage transcript. It talks about my SSN, my employer EIN etc etc.

I feel it has the information related to W2. I am not sure where to find this information. Are you sure it is wage transcript?

Thanks

Surendra

If your wife was the one who had the ITIN retired for the SSN, log into her account rather than your own.

Did anyone in this discussion who recently changed from ITIN to SSN got the second stimulus check?

Also, I heard this time the stimulus will be paid to SSN holder + spouse ITIN. Did anyone got it?

I updated spouse ITIN to SSN recently , but received only $600 instead of $1200 for both.

Since the second stimulus is being based on the 2019 return that has already been filed it is highly doubtful you will get the second payment now ... instead when the programming has been updated later this month to add the second payment rules you will get the payment along with any missing first payment on the 2020 form 1040 line 30 that gets filed later this month ... patience will be needed by all while this unprecedented situation unfolds.  

@surebalu - here is what changed - and if doesn't work out, there is a 'settle up' section on the 2020 tax return where you can get any missing stimulus.

in the CARES Act it stated for a joint return, if either spouse had the ITIN, then NEITHER spouse would get the stimulus.  Nothing for the children either.

But the new law that passed last week changed that retroactive to the first payment.  Now, if one of the spouses has an ITIN only that spouse is ineligible; the other who has a SS# remains eligible for the stimulus as do any children (and they need SS#s). 

If the math doesn't work out on the payments you receive, it won't matter because the 2020 tax return will calculate how much you are eligible for based on the current rules of your filing status and your income, subtract what you received on the two payments and if you are still due something it will be a credit on LINE 30 of Form 1040.  You can't be asked to return any money if the two payments are greater than what the calculation works out to be.  In other words, LINE 30 can not be less than zero.

does that help? 

Thanks @NCperson . It helped..

I am in the same boat, haven't received the second payment yet. There is no way to check either as the IRS site is down.

I did mail a letter to IRS to change the wife's ITIN to SSN but no response from IRS.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies