Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gamble-76

I have 5000 trades.. i know with your downloadable version the limit is 2 or 3000. can i break the 5000 trades into 2000 each and import all of them that way separately?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I have 5000 trades.. i know with your downloadable version the limit is 2 or 3000. can i break the 5000 trades into 2000 each and import all of them that way separately?

TurboTax Online is not equipped to handle that large a number of trades.  It is able to handle approximately 500 transactions per brokerage account.

If you have 2000 or fewer transactions per brokerage account you can switch to TurboTax CD/Download. and import the transactions.

If you would like to switch to TurboTax CD/Download, please click here for information on how to do this.

If your total sales amount is less than $10,000,000, you can enter a summary for each category of sales.

Please continue reading for instructions on how to enter the transactions as summary amounts.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4926553

ugate29

Did we ever get an answer to this? I have about 4,200 trades and need a software that will import these trades.

KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

It is acceptable to enter the trades in summary form in TurboTax. The details should be sorted by short-term, one year or less, and long-term, greater than one year.

Then, mail in Form 8453 and your transaction detail within three days of e-filing.

PAGB
Level 4

@KathrynG3 

Thank you for explaining this.

I have one further question, is 1099-B an acceptable " transaction detail" attachment to be sent with 8453. Our 1099-B has all the details and our only adjustment are wash sales but it doesn't specifically have the W listed in front of each sale, it has a column that says

Wash Sale
Loss
Disallowed
(Box 1g)

Is this acceptable to the IRS or does the attachment with detail explicitly have to have the W code in front of each wash sale

Thank you very much for your time

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Yes, the form 1099-B is an acceptable transaction detail.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies