Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 1099-MISC (stock lending income). But turbotax recognize it as business income. please help me.

I have 1099-MISC income (it looks like stock lending income) from TDAmeritrade. (I have 3. other income and 8 substitute payments in lieu of dividends or interest.)

However, turbotax recognize it as business income and asks me various business information for that income.

How can I solve this problem?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I have 1099-MISC (stock lending income). But turbotax recognize it as business income. please help me.

the income should be in box 3 and you need to check the box that this is other income

you should see questions

like is this income involve work like a job which should be answered "no"

did this involve intent to earn money (while yes you were trying to earn money just not as a business or employee)  so in Turbotax answer "no" 

Thank you for your reply.

Yes, I did it, but still turbotax asks me to fill other business form.

I cannot proceed without finishing it.

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

To report the income that is not self-employment income in TurboTax Onliine, follow these directions.

• Down the left side of the screen, click Federal.
  • Down the left side of the screen, click Wages & Income.
  • Click Show more to the right of Less Common Income.
  • To the right of Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • To the right of Other reportable income, click the Start / Revisit button.
  • At the screen Other Taxable Income, enter a description and an amount. 

The entry will be reported:

• on line 8z of Schedule 1 of the Federal 1040 tax return, and 
  • on line 8 of the Federal 1040 tax return.

@Tahoe_NV 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Is it for online version of turbotax premier?

I am working on desktop version (download) of turbotax premier, and the menu is different from your explantaion. 

Thank you for your reply.

RachelW33
Expert Alumni

Here are the steps to enter your 1099-MISC as Other Income in the Desktop version of TurboTax:

1. Under the Wages & Income tab, scroll down to Less Common Income
  2. Choose Start next to Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  3. Scroll down and click Start next to Other Reportable Income
  4. Answer Yes to Did you receive any other taxable income?
  5. Enter a description and the amount
  6. Click Done

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

That screen says "do not report any income reported on 1099-MISC."

Turbotax keeps trying to report this income as self-employment.

ee-ea
Level 15

Enter it in the personal section, Other Common Income Form 1099-MISC.  To ensure it does not go to Schedule C (self-employment), you will answer the follow-up questions accordingly. 

On the Describe the reason for this 1099-MISC screen, enter a description of the other income. (award/stipend)

Select None of these apply on the Does one of these uncommon situations apply? screen.

Select No, it didn’t involve work like my day job on the Did the involve work that's like your main job? screen.

Select I got it ONLY in 2023 on the How often did you get income for? screen.

Select No, it didn’t involve intent to earn money on the Did the work involve an intent to earn money? screen.

Answering differently to any of these questions will imply self-employment and generate Schedule C.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies