turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

plsankey

I got a second 1099G from unemployment that is different from my first and I've already filed but pending until February 12th.. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I got a second 1099G from unemployment that is different from my first and I've already filed but pending until February 12th.. What should I do?

You should contact the government agency which issued the Forms 1099-G and clarify with them which of the forms is correct one, and use the right one for preparing your tax return.  

plsankey

Ok but how do I fix it or can i fix it before its accepted or rejected cause I've already filed with turbo tax

gloriah5200
Expert Alumni

Since you received another unemployment reporting form, depending on whether both forms are 1099-G or if one is a PUA 1099-G or UC 1099-G or other different 1099-G form name will determine if you will use the information on both to add together to file your unemployment  income or if you use one or the other

As suggested above, you can call your local state unemployment office to ask them if you are to combine them to file your return or use one or the other.

If you have already e-filed with TurboTax, then your return is waiting to be transmitted to IRS and cannot be changed or pulled back unless/until IRS rejects it

If/when IRS rejects the return then you can open it and fix the reject area as well as correct the unemployment section of the return before wrapping it back up for retransmitting.

Please compare the 1099-Gs.  Are they the same form #?  Are they the same data on them?

Some states are issuing new unemployment forms that break it down between unemployment sources for the payments received (PUA 1099-G and UC 1099-G, and various other forms for different types of unemployment, etc.). 

They are all still considered 1099-G for taxable unemployment for your return. 

They are created for reporting different sources of unemployment compensation received. 

The PUA 1099-G is an award of Pandemic Unemployment Award...it came from a different source and is only reported on that one document.  So, if your 1099-G forms are different form numbers you may need to add them all together to include all unemployment in your return.

For additional information, refer to the following link:

What is PUA 1099-G and UC 1099-G

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies