Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed "injured spouse" and the IRS took my whole refund. What should I do?

My wife has a bit owed to child support, we always file "injured spouse". This year the IRS took half for that and didn't explain where the other half is. What's going on?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Bees
Level 7

You should get a form letter from the IRS that explains what the offset amount was for. 

You can also contact  https://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc203#:~:text=Not%20all%20debts%20are%20subject,for%20TTY%2FTDD%20help).

Disclaimer: Not a tax professional. Information gathered from internet links. Anything dated in June 2019 was posted in prior years and is before the 2019 limits and changes.
Carl
Level 15

The IRS can not and will not talk to anyone or provide anyone information about your tax return. They will only communicate with the tax filer about their tax return.

When there is a garnishment of any refund due, the IRS will send you a letter explaining it, along with what actions to take if you disagree. That letter will have a "drop dead" date by which you have to take the specified actions if you disagree with the IRS. After that date, it's to late. That letter will usually arrive 3-4 weeks after your tax return is processed. But with this pandemic stuff, it could be longer for all I know.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies