Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed for an extension and paid the taxes in April. How do I get credit in turbo tax now that I'm ready to file? Thanks!

I see a few answers saying to go to -> Deductions&Credits, then to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid but none of the categories there match the extension paid amount. Since this is not an estimated tax payment. Help please 🙂
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I filed for an extension and paid the taxes in April. How do I get credit in turbo tax now that I'm ready to file? Thanks!

@ user8507 wrote:
I see a few answers saying to go to -> Deductions&Credits, then to Estimates and Other Taxes Paid but none of the categories there match the extension paid amount. Since this is not an estimated tax payment. Help please 🙂

You were close, but didn't go quite far enough.   You do indeed navigate to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."  That section is not just for estimates, which is why it says "and Other Taxes Paid."    You need to go one subtopic further.   So under "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" you should see a subtopic "Income Taxes Paid."  Click Start or Revisit.  The next screen will have "Payments with Extension."    Here's the full navigation info:

If you used TurboTax to file the extension, it "may" be prepopulated on your return, but you need to check to be sure you get credit for it.   If your extension payment has not been reported, here are the navigation steps to do so.  You can also go through these steps as another way to confirm it has been reported.

• In the left menu column, click the Federal tab
  • Then click the subtab Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll way down on the "Tax Breaks" screen until you see the category "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
  • Click "Show More" to expand the subtopics, and choose "Income Taxes Paid."  (click Start or Revisit).
  • On the next screen, titled "Income Taxes Paid," you should see a category of  "Payments with Extension."  Choose the type of extension payment and click Start or Revisit.

NOTE:  If this is a Federal extension payment,  before filing verify that the payment shows up on Schedule 3, Line 10.   It should also be included in the figure showing on your Federal Form 1040, Line 31.

If you have a state or local extension payment, verify the respective state/local payment shows up on that return, too.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@ user8507 wrote:

You were close, but didn't go quite far enough.   You do indeed navigate to "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."  That section is not just for estimates, which is why it says "and Other Taxes Paid."    You need to go one subtopic further.   So under "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid" you should see a subtopic "Income Taxes Paid."  Click Start or Revisit.  The next screen will have "Payments with Extension."    Here's the full navigation info:

If you used TurboTax to file the extension, it "may" be prepopulated on your return, but you need to check to be sure you get credit for it.   If your extension payment has not been reported, here are the navigation steps to do so.  You can also go through these steps as another way to confirm it has been reported.

• In the left menu column, click the Federal tab
  • Then click the subtab Deductions & Credits.
  • Scroll way down on the "Tax Breaks" screen until you see the category "Estimates and Other Taxes Paid."
  • Click "Show More" to expand the subtopics, and choose "Income Taxes Paid."  (click Start or Revisit).
  • On the next screen, titled "Income Taxes Paid," you should see a category of  "Payments with Extension."  Choose the type of extension payment and click Start or Revisit.

NOTE:  If this is a Federal extension payment,  before filing verify that the payment shows up on Schedule 3, Line 10.   It should also be included in the figure showing on your Federal Form 1040, Line 31.

If you have a state or local extension payment, verify the respective state/local payment shows up on that return, too.

Thank you! That was it!

Great!  You're welcome.

Once you've entered the Federal extension payment, here's how you can preview your Form 1040 and Schedule 3 prior to paying and filing.

• In the left menu column click on Tax Tools, then Tools.
  • In the Tools window click on View Tax Summary.
  • When the Tax Summary opens, look in the left menu column and choose Preview My 1040. That will show you the Form 1040 and schedules 1-3.

Or we can tell you how to pay your TurboTax fees in advance in order to have viewing and printing privilege for all the forms in your return prior to filing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies