Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I filed an extension on my federal return through TurboTax. How do I now file my state return via TurboTax as well?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

I filed an extension on my federal return through TurboTax. How do I now file my state return via TurboTax as well?

Correct. You do not need to request an extension to file your Georgia return if you receive a Federal extension.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

What state? Generally, your federal extension will be used by the state, and no separate state extension needs to be filed.

Georgia. The federal extension applies to the state as well? Want to make sure I’m not missing a step.

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Correct. You do not need to request an extension to file your Georgia return if you receive a Federal extension.

Appreciate the quick help; thank you.

I have filed my federal taxe extension with turbo tax and now need to file my Kentucky extension, how do I do that 

DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It depends on your state. Many states accept the federal extension as their own. Kentucky accepts the federal extension without any additional filing with the state. As long as the federal extension is accepted, Kentucky will accept it as well.

• Kentucky Form 740EXT can be used if you do not file a federal extension.

@LyleSweitzer  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies