Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I didn't file last year so I filed last night and I still have to file my taxes for this year. How do I do that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I didn't file last year so I filed last night and I still have to file my taxes for this year. How do I do that?

Hopefully you didn't use the current online product to file your 2018 tax return. It can only be used to file a 2019 return. If you used it to file 2018 and efiled it, the IRS may reject it. If they don't and it is accepted, you will now have to prepare, print and mail an amended return form 1040X to delete all your 2018 information and enter your 2019 information and then mail it to the IRS.

DO NOT change your original tax return until you start the amended return. If you have already changed it from the way it was originally filed and accepted, you must change it back before you start the amended return. Here is an FAQ to help you:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894381-how-to-amend-change-or-correct-a-return-you-already-filed

An amended return cannot be efiled. You must print and mail it yourself. TurboTax does not print and mail it for you. Use the filing instructions that print with your amended return for what to include and where to mail ti. In normal times, it takes the IRS about 16 weeks to process an amended return. It is taking much longer now. 

To prepare and file a 2018 tax return, you must buy, download and install the 2018 product on your computer. See this:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-taxes/past-years-products/

A 2018 return can no longer be efiled. You must print and mail it yourself. TurboTax does not print an mail it for you. Use the filing instructions that print with your return to know what to include and where to mail it.

Interesting situation.

--It sounds like you filed your 2018 return last night, is that correct? If yes, did you use the 2019 version of TurboTax to file? If yes again, that is a real problem where you need to contact the IRS and State revenue departments to ask for guidance, because as you may have already guessed it will look like you filed twice for 2019.

--If on the other hand you used the 2018 TurboTax to file your 2018 tax returns, then just used the 2019 TurboTax to file your 2019 return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies