Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I came up a different number of tax amount than Turbotax

We are filing for marriage jointly. Our line 15 of Form 1040 is $699,792. My calculation for line 16 is $188,835. Why does TurboTax show $215,473? Can you help check? Thank you!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

No one can see your screen or your tax return.    We cannot check or review your return.from the user forum.    But----are you aware that there is more than one tax table that is used to calculate your tax ?   For example, if you have capital gains or qualified dividends, a different table is used.

Which software are you using?   If you are using a version of the online software, you can upgrade to a version with "Live" expert help and have an expert review the return.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/choosing-a-product/help/how-do-i-get-turbotax-live/00/27305

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

OK, now I understand the concept. I am wondering if the foreign income exclusion of $120,000 will be added back for calculation if I am taking a foreign tax credit.

Also is there any worksheet in TurboTax that I can see how this tax is calculated?

Finally, I am using the Desktop version.

In desktop, you can switch to Forms mode to take a closer look at how things are being calculated.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
LindaS5247
Expert Alumni

You can look at the Foreigh Earned Income Exclusion Worksheet to see how your taxable income amount was calculated.

If you switch to Forms Mode (at the upper right side of your screen) you can view this worksheet.

It looks like this:

Click here for information on filing taxes while overseas.

Please feel free to come back to TurboTax Community with additional information or questions or click here for help in contacting Turbo Tax Support. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies