turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

perfectpaison
Returning Member

i amended my 2020 return digitally. paying $112. i did not need to do that, did i?

did i slow my unemployment $10,200 tax break refund down by doing that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

i amended my 2020 return digitally. paying $112. i did not need to do that, did i?

@perfectpaison , great question. 

If you owed additional taxes on the amendment, you must have been amending for some reason other than the unemployment exclusion. So, it may have been necessary to amend. 

However, you might be correct that the amendment will slow the process of your return being adjusted for the unemployment exclusion. I will say, though, if you amended sometime after mid-March using TurboTax, it is likely the unemployment exclusion is included in your amendment, and so it was taken into account when the $112 balance due was calculated. 

If you'd like one of our agents to take a closer look for you, don't hesitate to reach out to our Live Help from your TurboTax home screen, or call (800) 446-8848! 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
perfectpaison
Returning Member

i amended it on june 20th. i had filed my original taxes in february.and recieved it in march.

AdamNe
Employee Tax Expert

In that case, I would suggest that you probably should not be expecting any refund for unemployment, as it would have been automatically included in your amended return by TurboTax. 

perfectpaison
Returning Member

but, the $10,200 tax break didn't pass till after i got my taxes back

ismailm615
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Hello @perfectpaison

When you filed the amended return in June the law was already passed and the TurboTax software was updated to include the unemployment exclusion. 

perfectpaison
Returning Member

yes. what i'm saying is i filed my 2020 tax refund feb.12th,2021. recieved it march 29th. turbotax saidmyreturn would be $1282.00.  only got back $732.00. was it included  in my first refund? but the cares act idn't pass yet.

ismailm615
Employee Tax & Finance Expert

Based on the dates you provided, most likely the reduction in the refund has nothing to do with unemployment. The IRS may adjust the refund for several reasons. For example, they received a W2 or a 1099 that was not reported on the return. 
Usually they send a notice explaining the adjustments. You can also get an IRS transcript of the 2020 return which will have the adjustments they made. You can compare the transcript to the tax return in TurboTax to figure out what changes the IRS made to the tax return. 

You can use the IRS link below to request a transcript. 

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies