turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

rschu2020

I am single and a dependent and have only made 8k from my work and unemployment. Do I need to file taxes? Does receiving unemployment make it a requirement to file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
MinhT1
Employee Tax Expert

I am single and a dependent and have only made 8k from my work and unemployment. Do I need to file taxes? Does receiving unemployment make it a requirement to file?

If your income from a job and unemployment is $8k, you are not required to file a tax return. Receiving unemployment does not automatically require you to file a tax return.

However, if you had taxes withheld, you can file a tax return to claim a refund.

If you file a tax return, you have to indicate in TurboTax that you can be claimed as a dependent by someone else.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Tim79

I may be reading this wrong, but wouldn't it depend on how much the income is divided between his job and his unemployment benefits?

If unemployment benefits are greater than $1,100.00, he would need to file a tax return, reference this support article:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/children-dependents/help/do-i-need-to-file-my-own-taxes-if-i-m-a-d...

Hope it helps,
-Tim

JamesG1
Employee Tax Expert

It sounds like you are required to file.  You do not include a breakdown of earned income and unearned income, but it sounds like your gross income exceeds the larger of $1,100 or your earned income plus $350.

A dependent of another taxpayer is required to file his or her own tax return if: 

• Your earned income (money you made by working) exceeds $12,400,
  • Your unearned income (interest, dividends, capital gains, etc.) exceeds $1,100,
  • Your business or self-employment net income (gross minus expenses) is at least $400,
  • Your gross income (earned plus unearned) exceeds the larger of $1,100 or your earned income (up to $12,050) plus $350.

But even if your income falls below these filing requirements, you will want to file your own tax return to get a refund of any federal or state taxes withheld from your paychecks.

The IRS defines earned income as: 

• Taxable income you earned as an employee, such as wages, salaries, commissions, and tips,
  • Profits from operating your business or farm,
  • Long-term disability pay if received before the minimum retirement age,
  • Union strike benefits.

The IRS defines unearned income as: 

• Interest, dividend, or investment income,
  • Retirement or Social Security income,
  • Alimony or child support,
  • Unemployment or worker's compensation,
  • Gifts, prizes, awards, or winnings,
  • Inheritances,
  • Income received while incarcerated, even if it involves active work.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies