Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

glenn13

I am separated but was legally married at the end of 2019. I need to file but my exwife doesn't speak to me so I can't get her information. What do I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
dmk415

I am separated but was legally married at the end of 2019. I need to file but my exwife doesn't speak to me so I can't get her information. What do I do?

You can file with marital status called Married Filing Separately.

Then your wife has to do the same, but it is totally her responsibility.

Of course if you had most of the income you may end up paying more tax since you cannot then claim her as a dependent.

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

If you are unable to provide your spouse's Social Security number, you will have to file separately by mail. 

If you have a past year's tax return you may be able to obtain the SS number for your spouse. If not, then you will have to file by mail. When printing, ignore the error messages related to the lack of a SS number. Include a cover letter explaining the lack of a SS number for your spouse. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

If you file MFS both of you are required by federal law to provide each other your SSN's. If your ex will not provide theirs, then have your lawyer handle it for you. That's what you paid them for. Once they explain the legalities of the requirement to provide, it shouldn't be a problem to get their SSN.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies