Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am not filing with TurboTax anymore. However, my credit card has already been charged but I haven't filed my returns yet. How do I get refunded?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am not filing with TurboTax anymore. However, my credit card has already been charged but I haven't filed my returns yet. How do I get refunded?

@ezagustin wrote:

It's not about filing for free. I got charged even though I have not completed my tax return forms. I am missing my NRA spouse's ITIN so I will have to file an extension first as I didn't know I had to apply for her ITIN. This is the first time I'm filing as "Married".  I will be filing with TurboTax later but the charge should have been done later and not now.

First of all, you aren't charged for Turbotax until you want to be.  You can go to the payment screen at any time to pay and lock in your price (useful if there is a sale going on), but you aren't required to pay until you are ready to file.

Second, in most cases, your NRA spouse can't apply for an ITIN unless you attach a tax return to the W-7 application.  There are some exceptions for people covered under certain tax treaties, but most of the time, you can't apply for an ITIN unless it is attached to a tax return, either the NRA filing a non-resident return for income earned in the US, or the NRA filing jointly with a spouse who is a US citizen or resident. 

View solution in original post

5 Replies

That’s going to be tricky. When you pay for TurboTax online, that unlocks your ability to print out your tax returns, so there is no way for customer support to know that you didn’t simply mail your returns to the IRS and are now trying to get your preparation services for free. I don’t know what their policy is. Follow the links below to contact customer support.  When you get to the web form to choose the right phone number, don’t use the keyword “refund“, this will take you to automated tax refund information. Use the keyword “billing issues“.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

It's not about filing for free. I got charged even though I have not completed my tax return forms. I am missing my NRA spouse's ITIN so I will have to file an extension first as I didn't know I had to apply for her ITIN. This is the first time I'm filing as "Married".  I will be filing with TurboTax later but the charge should have been done later and not now.

@ezagustin wrote:

First of all, you aren't charged for Turbotax until you want to be.  You can go to the payment screen at any time to pay and lock in your price (useful if there is a sale going on), but you aren't required to pay until you are ready to file.

Second, in most cases, your NRA spouse can't apply for an ITIN unless you attach a tax return to the W-7 application.  There are some exceptions for people covered under certain tax treaties, but most of the time, you can't apply for an ITIN unless it is attached to a tax return, either the NRA filing a non-resident return for income earned in the US, or the NRA filing jointly with a spouse who is a US citizen or resident. 

This is what I don't understand. I got charged even if I'm not ready to file yet. I'm still missing my spouse's ITIN.

Thank you for your quick and detailed response! I really appreciate it.

This is what I don't understand. I got charged even if I'm not ready to file yet. I'm still missing my spouse's ITIN.

Thank you for your quick and detailed response! I really appreciate it.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies