Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am doing taxes for Delaware for the first time and have issue with the 2022 tax estimate calculation.

I am doing taxes for Delaware for the first time and have issue with the 2022 tax estimate calculation.

I only worked in Delaware from May to October 2021.  I live in NJ and currently work in PA and will not work in DE in the future.  I have issue with the how  "future" wage calculation is done assuming that I will work in DE in 2022.  Is this even necessary?

Do I just uncheck the box?  and delete the entries.  Do I have to file a 2022 return to get my over payment back?

Help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can adjust your ''future'' wage or income estimates when preparing voucher for next year.   And you don't have to use what TurboTax printed out at all.    We'll automatically include four quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

You may get these vouchers if you're self-employed or had an uncharacteristic spike in your income this year. For example, you sold stock or took a large distribution from your retirement plan.

You're not required to make estimated tax payments; we're just suggesting it based on the info in your return. If you feel they're not needed for next year's taxes, you can shred them.  If you want them but want to have them be accurate - 

With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.

• Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2022?
  • Answer the questions about things like your 2022 filing status, income, and deductions.
  • Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2022 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.     
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can adjust your ''future'' wage or income estimates when preparing voucher for next year.   And you don't have to use what TurboTax printed out at all.    We'll automatically include four quarterly 1040-ES vouchers with your printout if you didn't withhold or pay enough tax this year. We do this to head off a possible underpayment penalty on next year's taxes.

You may get these vouchers if you're self-employed or had an uncharacteristic spike in your income this year. For example, you sold stock or took a large distribution from your retirement plan.

You're not required to make estimated tax payments; we're just suggesting it based on the info in your return. If you feel they're not needed for next year's taxes, you can shred them.  If you want them but want to have them be accurate - 

With your tax return open, search for 1040-es (be sure to include the dash) and select the Jump to link.

• Answer No to the question Do you want to change your W-4 withholdings for 2022?
  • Answer the questions about things like your 2022 filing status, income, and deductions.
  • Eventually, you'll come to the Print Vouchers? screen. Answer Yes and we'll include your 2022 1040-ES payment vouchers when you print a copy of your return later.     
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

My assertion is that I shouldn't owe anything.  Any other earnings take place outside the sphere of DE influence.  based on the tax rate for the 5 months I worked there, I should owe nothing or owed a refund either.

It says I owe $147.00.  This is wrong.

PS  I'm using TT Premier the old fashion way

I don't feel my wages from other states should go into their calculation for adjusted gross income nor my spouses. 

I'm sorry.  I thought this calculation was then used to determine the proper rate for 2021.  It appears that, and I feel they are laying claim to my adjusted gross income when they have no right to it.  If I earned that income in PA or NJ it should not be impacting the calculation for their tax percentage.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies