turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

nbkl5v5
Returning Member

I am being asked for Form 2553, but I have already filed it.

Before I can file, I get the message "Attachment Needed - Form 2553. Since you are filing your S election when you e-file your tax return."

BUT I have already filed the Form 2553 and am already recognized as S-Corp. I went back through everything and couldn't find any questions asking me if I needed to file the 2553 or not.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

18 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Try going over what was entered in the BUSINESS INFO tab. This is the specific area in the Step-by-Step Interview that would have those details.

You would have been asked for the date of incorporation and whether the S election was effective on a different date or not.

After these questions are answered, then you will be asked if the S corporation election has already been filed.

@nbkl5v5

nbkl5v5
Returning Member

I made sure to answer correctly in the BUSINESS INFO but it is still asking me to file the 2553. @KathrynG3 

Ditto!!!

nbkl5v5
Returning Member

@aTmAlaskan has anyone figured this out yet?

In place of the 2553, I uploaded a note explaining there is a glitch in TurboTax requiring an attachment and noted my date of incorporation and the date of my S-election approval letter. It went through.  [aka. NO, Intuit has not solved this.]

cwerden

On the phone with Turbotax for an hour and a half. No resolution. I was told that I have to reach out to the IRS which is clearly not the case. Very disappointed in this service. 

JETAR

I am having the exact same issue -- on 2021 -- so it looks like this never got resolved from last year.

Do I have to change my date of incorporation from the date of my LLC incorporation in my state to the date I elected to become an S corp instead? That doesn't seem right...

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

You need to review the answers to your questions regarding your election date under the Business Info tab and About Your Business.

To do this please follow these steps:

1. Within your return click on the Business Info tab
  2. Click About Your Business
  3. Scroll down and click Edit on the section that lists Date you incorporated
  4. Verify your incorporation date and Continue
  5. Answer the next questions regarding your election date and business start date and Continue through
  6. On the Form 2553 screen choose Yes, it already made the S corporation election

@JETAR

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gstephen
Returning Member

@AliciaP1  Followed your directions but I didn't get the option to select that I have already made the election.

Having the same problem as everyone else.  

AliciaP1
Expert Alumni

It would be helpful to have a TurboTax ".tax2021" file that is experiencing this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file that has your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions: 

At the top menu in the black line at the top of the page go to Online. 

1. From the menu, select Send Tax File to Agent. 
  2. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click Send and then you will get a Token number. 
  3. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.  

We will then be able to see exactly what you are seeing and we can determine what exactly is going on in your return and provide you with a resolution.

@gstephen

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
gstephen
Returning Member

Not sure this will work for everyone / was the right thing to do but this is what ended up working for me.  I went under the "Forms" menu item, located form 2553 in the left menu bar,  and deleted it.  After I did that I was able to efile and has since been accepted by the IRS.

@AliciaP1 

jwerntz

token 956986.  I have the same issue.  I tried deleting the form but it isn't working

I am assuming this is only occurring for those who stated this is the first year filing as an S Corp. If a blank 2553 or partially filled out 2553 is already in the forms, just delete it and see if it works. 

DOUBLETT

I am having the same issue as everyone here. I already filed a 2553 and IRS has mailed back an acceptance letter of my s corp election. I’ve been trying to figure how to delete the 2553 form. I called Turbo tax but no help. It’s very simple, we just need to know how to DELETE 2553 from our return so that we can proceed to efile. Can someone please help? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies