Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am a US citizen but live in the United Kingdom. I no longer have a bank account in the USA. Can I file my US taxes through Turbotax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am a US citizen but live in the United Kingdom. I no longer have a bank account in the USA. Can I file my US taxes through Turbotax?

You can and any refund can be mailed to you  HOWEVER to pay the TT fees you need a US CC with a US address.

If your AGI is $69K or less (after using the foreign income exclusion)  then their is a totally FREE option to pick from thru the IRS website ... start there first : https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

View solution in original post

2 Replies

You can and any refund can be mailed to you  HOWEVER to pay the TT fees you need a US CC with a US address.

If your AGI is $69K or less (after using the foreign income exclusion)  then their is a totally FREE option to pick from thru the IRS website ... start there first : https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-federal-taxes-for-free

Carl
Level 15

A few tidbits of information here.

- To pay your TurboTax fees with a credit/debit card, the card must be three criteria

1) Must be issued by a U.S. Banking institution in U.S. dollars.

2) Must have a valid U.S. billing address

3) Must have a valid U.S. telephone number associated with it.

If you don't meet all three of the above, then you can visit you nearest embassy or consulate office to purchase a pre-paid VISA in U.S. dollars. All U.S. embassies have a U.S. banking facitility in them, and most consulate offices do. After you have purchased the card for the amount needed, register the card on line with a valid U.S. address and U.S. telephone number. Then wait a few hours for the registration to propagate across the internet to wherever it needs to. Then you can use that pre-paid card to pay your TurboTax fees.

- The IRS will not direct deposit to a foreign bank account. So you only option will be to get any refund due via a paper check sent to you in the mail. You should be able to cash it at the embassy or consulate office. Of course, when you purhcase the pre-paid VISA card you could also open a bank account with the U.S. banking facility located in the embassy. Then your refund could be deposited there with no problem.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies