Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to interpret/fill out 2021 estimated tax input

In Turbotax the 2021 estimated tax input screens have gotten noticeably more confusing.  Looking to understand which specific income elements need to be populate in which 2021 estimated income field:

- There is a screen for "enter investment gains and losses", which includes qualified dividends; OK so far.

- But on the next page, "enter other income" the explanation hotlink says to put in interest and dividend income on "other income".  That would seem to be double counting the above entry; and looking at what is filled in from this year, there certainly must be some double counting.  Any idea what is going on here; should I in fact be double counting and putting the dividend I entered on the last page here also?  If so is it all dividends; qualified dividends, or ...?

- Then a couple of screens later, on "net investment income" it looks like we are being asked to enter a slightly different version of dividends and interest?  Again, is it mean to double count, and if yes is it all dividends or qualified, or ...?

If these screens are using different combos of investment income, I would have expected TT to ask for the info once, then populate/calculate those entries.  The 3 entries seem to be asking for slightly different numbers; but the differences aren't very apparent.

Input?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Inadequate instructions and bad UI are considered product issues in most companies

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Investment gains and losses refer to the gain or loss on the sale of investments, such as from the sale of stocks. Qualified dividends are also to be entered under Enter Investment Gains and Losses as the income from them gets capital gains treatment, like gains and losses form investment sales.

On the next screen, Enter 2021Other Income, you  are to enter interest, dividends, retirement distributions, taxable social security, K-1 income, rental income and other miscellaneous income. Interest and dividends are a separate category of investment income, as that income may not receive capital gain treatment like you would normally get with investment gains and losses, so it needs to be entered separately.

You should not enter the same income in the two sections.

I don't see the net investment income option that you are referring to in my version of TuboTax, but you should not enter the same income twice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks Thomas; gets me close to where I thought I should be

I am still confused about how to enter dividends and capital gains. Would appreciate some help.

I have qualified dividends from mutual funds and stocks, $A.
I have LT capital gains from selling stocks, $B.

Screen shots of the three pages in question (from TurboTax Premier) are referenced below.

On the Investment Gains and Losses page, I would enter A and B.

https://i.imgur.com/kVWW5UD.jpg

On the Other Income page, does "dividend income" refer to ordinary dividends? If so, I should not include A again on this page?

https://i.imgur.com/OpmZqaL.jpg

On the Net Investment Income page, should I include A and B again?

https://i.imgur.com/c3YQLDg.jpg

Thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies