turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

snorkeleddy
Returning Member

How to fill wife SSN when filing tax in mail

My wife applied for SSN but it may not arrive before the tax filing deadline.  In that case, I can not file electronically.  But when I file through mail, how to fill her SSN or how to explain the situation to IRS?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies
VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You have two options:

1. Fill in NRA (nonresident alien) in the social security number section of the return and paper file.
  2. Wait until the SSN is received, update your return, and file.

The filing deadline has been extended to July 15, 2020 for 2019 tax returns. You may also file an extension, which gives you until October 15, 2020 to file. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
snorkeleddy
Returning Member

I am a US citizen.   I am applying green card and SSN for my wife.  SSN can take up to 7 months.  I found this on IRS website. 

"

f your spouse is a nonresident alien and you file a joint or separate return, your spouse must have either a Social Security Number (SSN) or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). To get an SSN for your spouse, apply at a social security office or U.S. consulate. You must complete Form SS-5

"

I plan to file tax extension.   I am concerned because in case my wife's SSN is not approved by 10/15, I don't know what to do.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If you do not have the social security number by the due date, you can file a separate return for the year.

@snorkeleddy

snorkeleddy
Returning Member

Filing married separately is not an option for me.  It will result in much higher tax for us.   Can I file tax on paper and request ITIN with W7 while we are waiting for SSN?

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

Yes, that is definitely an option that would work.  @snorkeleddy

snorkeleddy
Returning Member

I plan to file an extension before 4/15 so I can file tax by 10/15 after I get my wife's SSN.   But I have some tax obligations to pay.  I would like to pay tax now to avoid interest and penalty.   California and Indiana official tax website both asks for spouse SSN in order to accept my tax payment when I indicated the tax payment is for joint return.  How do I resolve this situation?

Thx

VictoriaD75
Expert Alumni

You will have to mail a payment in without entering the payment electronically. Be sure your SSN is included on your payment, and it will be applied to the return when  you file.

snorkeleddy
Returning Member

I tried to go through error checking process in my tax return to finalize the return.  During the process, california return asked me to fill in SSN for my wife.   Since I don't have SSN for her yet, I filled a random number so I can go to the end of tax return process to make sure the numbers are final.   Now I want to remove her fake ssn from california return before I print out the extension and its payment with extension.  I can not find a place to delete the ssn in california return section.   I changed my wife's SSN to 00000000 in federal personal information section.  But when I generate california extension, it still shows the fake ssn I entered earlier.   How do I modify the ssn for california return?

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

You will have to wait for your wife's SSN to file your tax return.  You need her SSN to file by mail .  Also you can not modify an SSN if you do it will cause your tax return to be rejected regardless of how you file your tax return.

snorkeleddy
Returning Member

The federal tax personal info section, it allows me to change SSN.   People could have a typo when they first enter SSN.  Why can't I change it for california state tax?

DeanM15
Expert Alumni

When you change the information in the Federal personal info section, it will change the info in the state section as well. You may have to reenter the state section and walk through the pages to get the change to catch. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies