Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How to file with 2 names on mortgage? my brother is co-owner but doesn't currently live there. my name is 1st and my SS is listed. How does he file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DJS
Alumni
Alumni

How to file with 2 names on mortgage? my brother is co-owner but doesn't currently live there. my name is 1st and my SS is listed. How does he file?

Multiple borrowers.

Even though there may be more than one borrower on the mortgage, the lender is required to prepare Form 1098 only for the payer of record, and only if such payer of record is an individual, showing the total interest received on the mortgage. Even if an individual is a co-borrower, no Form 1098 is required unless the payer of record is also an individual. Just give a copy to the other borrower and each of you enter your pro-ratter share of the mortgage interest based on your ownership interest. 

Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute legal or tax advice.
**If this post is helpful please click on "thumbs up"**

You and your brother may deduct the portion of the interest that you actually paid if you Itemized your deduction. If your brother doesn't live in the home permanently, he has to use it at least 14 days a year to be able to deduct his portion of the interest paid. 

You can find more information here:

How do I deduct mortgage interest if I co-owned the home?

Is this also true for rental property?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

A rental property is a little more complicated. 

If you prepare a schedule E for the property it would include the rent received and the mortgage paid (Along with other possible income and expenses).

If you have more than one person involved it now becomes a partnership.  As a partnership you can properly allocate the results from the property to each individual.  A partnership requires a separate tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies